Thread: To offset or not to offset....

Default To offset or not to offset....

Hi guys

I have been having a lot of success recently off setting my hooks to the left or right. Dropping far fewer fish. I find that for small nymphs, off setting the hook gives a huge advantage. I also off set my hooks when fishing for bass and carp as well as trout using streamer flies. I do not however off set my trout dry fly hooks.

I have fished with a very competent fly fishing friend on a few trips now where I was hooking and landing more fish than him. On one trip I hooked 15 trout and landed 13. He hooked 10 and dropped 5. We where both using similar fly lines and flies.

I could go on and on but I am definable convinced about the advantages. It is interesting that most hooks used in bait fishing are offset. As to causing the fly to swim weird, I have not found that it is too much of an issue.

For shy biting fish like tilapia and mullet, off setting your hook point can really payoff....

Any thoughts?

offset.jpg
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

Kamasan hooks have an offset out the factory, and some Partridge hooks too. There are also some Marinaro dry fly hooks that have an offset. I have the habit of offsetting mine in the vice before dropping them ja - been a habit for about 8 years, and I feel it does make a difference.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

a simple experiment.
    take a hook with point in line, attached on a peice of mono, insert into a phone book or a pile of copier paper, between the sheets.
    The hook will not "set" in the paper.

off set the hook and repeat, the hook immediately "sets" in the paper and dig deeper into the paper.
    an absolute MUST for me.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I dont offset and cant say my drop rate is higher,although offset does make sense,especially on smaller flies.Gonna give it a bash

Depends on the fishing, if the fish hits it hard, then offset isn't an issue, but I've found where fish mouth the fly softly it does help.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Shhhh...

:smile:
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Nice to see you back on the forum Sean , always sharing.