Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi guys

Default Hi guys

Hello everyone,

Glad to be here, i have recently had this urge to take up fly fishing although some say im crazy cause im in the Klein karoo but i see plenty of streams here and hopefully winter will allow me to fish some trout or carp... there are dams around but im hoping to gain my experience in the rivers.

Im completely new to the fishing world and one would wonder why taking up fly fishing first, i guess i like to jump in on the deep end.

Ive been reading up on fly casting and all the different lines and fly baits (dry, wet etc) alot of information to take in. Ive got my self a 7ft rod here which is not a fly rod but i think its called a soft bait rod, im hoping to organize myself some beginners line (weighted i assume) and maybe a fly reel depending if this spinning reel that came with the rod doesnt help with my fly casting. But yea im not going to drop thousands of rands on setting myself up in the fly fishing department when im such a beginner so im just going to practice with my sub standard equipment till i feel the need to upgrade myself. I do have a small dam with some carp in it which im going to practice on but first fly casting

Hope to be reading plenty of information on this forum and getting to know you guys, also if there are any fly fisherman in the Klein karoo area i would love to hear from you and gain as much experience as possible.

All the best everyone

Welcome to the site bud. How close are you to Uniondal, Avontuur area?
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hey Brian,

I am about 70 km's from that area, coming from the west.

Hi HawkFisher

I actually started in a similar fashion, but not out of choice. I had/have a softish spinning rod that can be used as a fly rod in a pinch by turning the handle around. It's not ideal though and if I could have given you advice I would rather have bought a cheap 2nd hand fly rod to start off with.

My advice would be to get a 5 or 6 weight floating line for your rod, as that is probably the first rod weight you will buy when "upgrading" to a proper fly rod.

You will have to get a fly reel. I cannot imagine using any other kind of reel with fly line.

Just wondering, how come you don't just look into buying fly fishing gear to start off with? It will make the start of your journey so much easier. Fly fishing can be hard enough as it is, no point in making it more frustrating at the start by trying to fly fish with bait tackle (at some point it becomes impossible...literally). There are some REALLY cheap options available for fly fishing gear, and although it may not be the best, it will be 10 times more effective at doing the job than trying to use bait tackle.

Hi Ben,

Yes I will probably take you up on your advice and try get a cheap fly reel with a 5/6 weighted floating line, I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately all the shops ive been looking at sell fly rods which seem to be no less then R1000 and i really cant afford that at this point in time. I was told about combo deals which usually start at R500 but they were out of stock so i just settled on a R150 soft bait rod

I dont plan to use bait tackle the only thing i guess is the rod but its very flexible and im just hoping it will work out, ive already bought a olive green fly, paid R25 for it and ill be using it mainly for practice as im hoping once i get the proper line and reel I will conceal the sharp bit on the fly and practice on my lawn ive got enough space and then move over to the small dam (5m radius) on our property and will start to work on the carp in there. Hopefully by winter time when the rivers are more full and ive applied myself to improving in skill ill have the finances to upgrade to a fly rod and have more knowledge as to what flies to use on what fish.

In the mean time im just going to be a sponge around here soaking up as much knowledge as possible, I think i went through an article on the main site for flytalk.co.za and saw that carp like red in their flies??

welcome...for the carp in your dam, you could probably get away with just about any flies (even feeding them bread and using a bread fly/white death to start).
    if you have a look on junkmail and the like, you can often find some cheap second hand gear, but id def agree with Benzo on rather getting flyfishing gear to start with. it will make moving forward much easier and enjoyable.
    R25 for a fly is extreme i think...what fly is it? seems like it might be a saltwater fly based on price. can you post a pic? (in the reply box, you'll see a toolbar above with bold, italics and the like. hold the cursor over the square block near the ABC tick and insert the image like this)
    i have caught carp on almost every fly, you just need to get it infront of them quietly and there's a chance.
    best is to fish with someone, or watch youtube videos (take them with a pich of salt mostly) and practise lots.

enjoy and ask questions
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

I agree with Ben. Do That. No need to half ass it. There's combo kits galore on the market, that will set you on your way with very little fuss. I started with a Stealth Start 5 weight and still use it.

I used to go to the Outeniqua Trout Lodge a lot and honed my skills there. You can find directions on their site. It is situated in Die Vlugt - Prince Alfred Pass. A good place to start.

I did the coffee grinder on fly rod thing as well - Will never again.....

Good Luck

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Well this is the fly i bought, probably could be a salt water fly because of the size i put eraser for scale

fly.jpg

yup it's a saltwater fly indeed.

thanks for posting the pic. its called a clouser minnow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast