Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feedback- Pascal Cognard Course

the blood knot is somewhere on the forum.
    will do a SBS for you and mail it to you.
    It is such a pleasure when you can do the blood knot is less than 10 seconds.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    (Y) thank you

Korrie I have a question regarding the knots on the leaders.

It was mentioned that when tying the thicker sections, the blood knot is better, while with thinner sections, the surgeons knot is better. (this seemed to be general knowledge amongst the guys).

First off, I think it was mentioned, but at what stage do you switch over to the surgeons?

Then, why is the blood better on the thicker lines? Is it because of knot strength, or because the blood is slimmer/neater? If strength is the reason, does it really matter, seeing that your tippet will probably be weaker in any case, even when using a surgeons knot where the blood knot may have been marginally stronger?
    Last edited by BenzoV; 13-03-13 at 08:51 PM.

Hi Ben
    The blood knot is used in lines thicker than 0.14mm and only when there is a difference of up to 25% ONLY in diamter.
    So lines thinner than 0,14mm use the surgeons knot.
    The Blood knot is the strongest knot on thicker monos.
    Also, if done right, it is the fastest, and smallest knot to make. (I will do a SBS of the knot. if done "wrong" it is a very CUMBERSOME AWFUL NOT TO TIE and very difficult. I once read a quirp, it is called the blood knot, because you sweat blood to tie it)
    Mark Krige, Phillip (Fish on the forum) and Richard Simpkins, can vouch for how fast it is to make the blood knot, done the simple way.
    the advantage is that you can tie the blood knot in the middle of 2 very long peices of mono, without any hassles. But try and tie the surgeons knot at the end of 2 x 10 meter or 50 meter peices of mono. NOT EASY.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Hi Ben
    The blood knot is used in lines thicker than 0.14mm and only when there is a difference of up to 25% ONLY in diamter.
    So lines thinner than 0,14mm use the surgeons knot.
    The Blood knot is the strongest knot on thicker monos.
    Also, if done right, it is the fastest, and smallest knot to make. (I will do a SBS of the knot. if done "wrong" it is a very CUMBERSOME AWFUL NOT TO TIE and very difficult. I once read a quirp, it is called the blood knot, because you sweat blood to tie it)
    Mark Krige, Phillip (Fish on the forum) and Richard Simpkins, can vouch for how fast it is to make the blood knot, done the simple way.
    the advantage is that you can tie the blood knot in the middle of 2 very long peices of mono, without any hassles. But try and tie the surgeons knot at the end of 2 x 10 meter or 50 meter peices of mono. NOT EASY.
    Will you post the SBS please?

will do a SBS once I have a bit more time.
    taking the photos, resizing and posting takes more time that doing a couple of short posts on the forum.
    Korrie Broos

Hard to believe, but learning to tie a blood knot quickly, in the dark, with cold fingers and while drinking a beer will change your life. The solution is so bloody simple you'll wonder why everyone doesn't do it that way. I'm grateful to Korrie for showing me his "trick;" now I wish he'll slow the heck down with some of his other knots so I can see how he does those...

8. Default

will do a SBS once I have a bit more time.
    taking the photos, resizing and posting takes more time that doing a couple of short posts on the forum.
    Korrie, if/when you're next in JHB I will gladly help you film and publish the Video and still SBS - drop in , you know where I live

Hi Mark.
    It is amazing how easy it is to tie the bloodknot.
    as you mentioned, with cold fingers in the dark, it becomes a breeze, to tie the strongest knot for the thicker diameter tippets.
    Even blindfolded, the bloodknot is a breeze to tie.

Richard
    By the next time I am in JHB, I should have done the SBS, as I have had so many request for the bloodknot SBS, with a couple of threats, if I dont do it very quickly, I might speak in a high sqeuaky voice.
    Korrie Broos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123