Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrick in Knysna Lagoon

Default Garrick in Knysna Lagoon

Hi guys.
    I wanted to share my experience of nailing Garrick in the Knysna lagoon over the last week.
    Garrick 3.jpg.

It either a case of they are just plentiful or I have been fishing the wrong area, needles to say, I had a lot of fun. Along the train bridge there were plenty of little minnows in big schools and you could see the Garrick hit into them and that is where I targeted them.
    I mainly fished with a intermediate line to avoid all the grass and debris floating on the surface.
    I lost one huge fish, that took the fly only 500 mm below the surface.
    It was a very powerful take and seeing as I stood on the edge of the bridge made it more intimidating.
    In the end the fish went on a long powerful run and just took line far into the backing until it bit through the line. The dissapointment was a feeling equal to that of a girl telling you it's over.

But I still managed to land a couple of fish over the 2 days that I went fishing, all in the 50 - 50 cm range, and of course the juvies that you always get.
    Garrick Smashing Minnow.jpg

The fly I tied and seemed to work better then most is Olive/peacock over white, with a bit of red under the eyes - All tied with SF blend. And with a long medium strip, I was rewarded with a few fish.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Good job, Leeries on light tackle are lots of fun.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Blog Entries

Nice going.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Very nice looks like decent fun. Anyone targeted Garrick in KZN on fly?

Quote Originally Posted by JulzD View Post
    Very nice looks like decent fun. Anyone targeted Garrick in KZN on fly?
    We used to catch them regularly in the Richards Bay estuary. White poppers & squid imitations worked well.
    Mike Mitchley

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    Hi guys.
    I wanted to share my experience of nailing Garrick in the Knysna lagoon over the last week.
    Garrick 3.jpg.

It either a case of they are just plentiful or I have been fishing the wrong area, needles to say, I had a lot of fun. Along the train bridge there were plenty of little minnows in big schools and you could see the Garrick hit into them and that is where I targeted them.
    I mainly fished with a intermediate line to avoid all the grass and debris floating on the surface.
    I lost one huge fish, that took the fly only 500 mm below the surface.
    It was a very powerful take and seeing as I stood on the edge of the bridge made it more intimidating.
    In the end the fish went on a long powerful run and just took line far into the backing until it bit through the line. The dissapointment was a feeling equal to that of a girl telling you it's over.

But I still managed to land a couple of fish over the 2 days that I went fishing, all in the 50 - 50 cm range, and of course the juvies that you always get.
    Garrick Smashing Minnow.jpg

The fly I tied and seemed to work better then most is Olive/peacock over white, with a bit of red under the eyes - All tied with SF blend. And with a long medium strip, I was rewarded with a few fish.
    Awesome. Leerie fishing beats just about everything else. And loosing a big fish can be very emotional bordering break down. It will haunt your next few nightmares.
    You sure that big fish was a leerie? Never heard of them biting through line before. In fact a guy by the name of Wawrick Reid recently took a 70cm+ leerie in the breede on 3x tippet. Maybe elf? Be interesting to see what other guys think.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

I was thinking maybe a springer but I suppose you would know if you hooked a springer LOL. Also not sure if you get them down there.

Blog Entries

Nice work! Always to catch those guys along the train bridge. Did the fish bite through your tippet? Could have a shad. Otherwise a big leerie may have popped your tippet. Although we do get skippies down in Knysna, I would be surprised if it was - the name skipjack comes from aerial displays when hooked.

Its always the risk of fishing light - that a big fish cleans you up.

Keep the reports coming, its good to see that home is fishing well!

It was a clean bite. I saw the flash of the fish and it was a large body of a silver fish. Maybe I was just unlucky that day. And now it still haunts me.. I just hate not knowing.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Nice flys
    Only modification I would do is get rid of those ugly barbs
    Those baby leeries are suicidal and always seem to get hooked near their eyes
    So barbless is way easier on the fish and your conscience
    That way the puppies can grow up to be tippet popping beasts !!!
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast