Thread: The 10wt dilemma

Default The 10wt dilemma

I'm off to Cuba at the end of June. Part of the recommended tackle is a good 10wt rod with a quality reel that can hold 200m of 30#. I don't own either. This outfit is for permit & small tarpon. I'm taking a 12wt for big tarpon & an 8wt for bones, as recommended by the outfitter.

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent outfit. Right now the debate I'm having in my head is do I spring for the big (huge) bucks & go top of the line or would something better priced do as well.

Alternatively, if anyone has a quality 10wt set up they're willing to part with, I'd be keen to hear of it.
    Mike Mitchley

Couple tangential ideas

What reels are you using on the 12wt and 8wt outfits? Would either cover a 9wt or 10wt rod as well?

Small tarpon won't need 200m of backing - a really really good permit on open terrain might. A typical 9wt or 10wt floating line cut a bit shorter from the back to say 90ft length may fit comfortably on a typical 8wt reel with plenty space for 200m 30lb backing.

(Not trying to demonstrate how "snoep" I am, just trying to give you some practical wiggle room )

And what about taking a 9wt rod as a "backup" for the 8wt but still very usable where you might've wanted the 10wt?
    The vast majoirty of small tarpon and permit will still be safely subdued on an 8-9wt - for safe release I'm talking.
    Delivering big heavy crab patterns might be a tad more challenging - but a Rio Clouser taper in 9wt packs a lot of punch for bigger flies on a fastish 8wt or typical 9wt.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Some good thoughts. Thanks.

The 12# reel is a Shilton SL7. The 8# reel is an ancient Lamson 3.5. The Lamson won't have space for a 9#. They recommend floating lines. I have a decent 9# rod (Loomis GLX) that I got for Xmas. Just need to get a good reel for it. I guess I could use that for the small tarpon/ permit thing. I have no experience of catching fish of that size on a 9# so I appreciate your viewpoint that a 9# will do it.
    Mike Mitchley

Good stuff Mike. The 9wt GLX is absolutely perfect for the job
    Think of your 9wt GLX as your back-up 8wt and your stand-in 10wt.
    That is exactly the sort of thing I do when trying to keep things simple for an OS fishing trip.

I use a Lamson Litespeed 3X on my 8wt for bonefish.

So I would expect a Lamson 3.5 should suit a 9wt but I realise on some of the older models capacity might be an issue.

But then the good news is that you're only up for a nice 9wt reel and line
    Last edited by William Ewels; 08-03-13 at 05:04 PM.
    The highest form of existence is play.

u can pick up a stealth bomber 10w for R1500...great rod for that price...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith