Thread: TFO Axiom

Default TFO Axiom

Who owns a Axiom, or have cast and fished with it.

I have to get a new rod after my 9 weight broke.

Cheers
    Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hi Brian
    I have the #7 axiom which I use for bass, carp, largies and barbel. I like the rod a lot although ,in my hands, it has about as much fineness as a kick in the balls.
    Andrew
    Last edited by schloshd1; 09-03-13 at 08:50 AM.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

I've cast several Axioms across the range - two things always stick in my mind, firstly they are impressive long casting machines that only really get into gear when you are carrying a lot of line (but then they do sing), secondly they feel a little heavier than most other rods with equivalent line ratings - not a significant problem when balanced with the right reel of course.

Based on those casting impressions (not actually fishing with one) I would think they'd be nice as a flats rod or for lake fishing at distance. I'd not choose one for close work or for shooting head work off a boat.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Predominately I want it for saltwater, casting in sometimes heave winds and covering as much water as possible. Finesse won't really come into play hear.
    My flies are not very large but not small either.
    By the sound of it, this will be the right rod at the price I am budgeting on. My previous rod ( Sensation prince 2) that is broken casted okay, but in a heavy wind struggled a bit.
    In the end I don't want to chased indoors because the wind is blowing.
    Thanks guys
    Brian

Have them in 8WT and 10WT ... lovely casting and lifting rods ... for the price you really will have to go far to try and beat them in terms of what you get.

If you HAVE the budget, ofcourse nothing beats a GLoomis.

My opinion is also that refinement in presentation is not so much related to the rod, but how you cast it, just because they are fast actiond rods, doesn't mean you can't work delicately with them (in as much as one ever needs to work delicately when pitching huge flies at long distances)

I also like what they did on the girp by way of the hardened rings at the location where your thumb typically digs into the grip and ends up destroying it.

My last experience with my 10WT was casting a 6/0 crease fly in heavy wind on a floating line on a long(er than what it should have been) leader, what a pleasure.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

What would be a good reel for the rod, cork disc drag, large arbour, etc.