Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A couple JVICE questions...

audax Banned User

Default A couple JVICE questions...

Last edited by audax; 21-06-17 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by audax View Post
    Greetings from America's west coast. I've enjoyed browsing your discussions at flytalk for a while. The countryside and fishing opportunities in SA make it a place I'd like to visit in my lifetime.

I have a couple questions about the wonderful Jvice which some of you may be able to answer. The first is in regards to the "salmon head" gooseneck Jay now offers. It uses delrin for the body of the assembly in lieu of the polished aluminum or brass used in the more costly "original" gooseneck. Have any of you had the opportunity to handle the delrin version? Would this seem an appropriate place to save a few dollars ($60 US)?

Jay offers a "knuckle" option, which I assume is positioned at the top of the vise stem and offers the ability to angle the jaws higher when working on smaller flies. In theory, I like the option. But I wouldn't care for it much if it allowed the head angle to fall out of adjustment under hand pressure. Does the design of this knuckle hold the adjustment securely while resting your hand in the gooseneck? I surely don't want to spend money on an option that will frustrate me more than it benefits me.

Thanks for your input

I've seen the new derlin Jvice and have had a quick play with it. It's a lot lighter than the original but it doesn't seem to effect the usability or quality at all, so I'd have no problem with it. From what I know about the material it should also last a lifetime. If I had the money I'd go for the original, but if you're worried about price I'd certainly buy the derlin version.

Regarding your second question, unfortunately I can't help you out here.

Good luck!
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Having a JVice and a couple of his other add ons, and know how predantic Jay is, I am sure that Jay would not put somehting on the market that have not been throught the most stringent tests and Quality control.
    Should something fail, Jay will replace IMMEDIATELY.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by korrie View Post
    having a jvice and a couple of his other add ons, and know how predantic jay is, i am sure that jay would not put somehting on the market that have not been throught the most stringent tests and quality control.
    Should something fail, jay will replace immediately.
    very true!
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

I have a C clamp, which I think is more practical and far more useful for travel.
    The wooden base, is loved by most, but for me, the weight and bulk is a factor.
    If you have a permanent tying station at home, you can use the "under desk stand" and use the C Clamp for travelling.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Eric

I agree with Wazzy about the salmon goose neck, it won't change anything on the performance of the vice, but looks wise, I just like the normal one.

The only thing that I would want added to my J vice is a knuckle, it's the only feature missing from an absalutely awesome vice, so if I had to reorder, the knuckle would be something I would go for. Everything Jay puts on the vice is high end, so you don't need to worry much about it iritating or bothering you.

I have the c-clamp and the desk stand. I attached the desk stand to a base I made myself that fits in with my tying station, so it works great. You would save a bit on the shipping costs with this, which might be a good option. The vice also works great with one of my other vices c-clamps, so you might get to do the same back home? Order the vice, you wont be disapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I have a C clamp, which I think is more practical and far more useful for travel.
    The wooden base, is loved by most, but for me, the weight and bulk is a factor.
    If you have a permanent tying station at home, you can use the "under desk stand" and use the C Clamp for travelling.
    I will always use a pedestal for travel.
    C-clamps require you to be able to fit it to the available table. Some tables don't have a "lip" or are too thick (some metal ones) to be able to fit the C-clamp.
    The pedestal will always be usable and you can also place it on a plate/board & tie on your lap.

While standard pedestal's are heavy, if you get a brad, thin aluminium one, it will provide all the stability you need and will be light.

Gary
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I will always use a pedestal for travel.
    C-clamps require you to be able to fit it to the available table. Some tables don't have a "lip" or are too thick (some metal ones) to be able to fit the C-clamp.
    The pedestal will always be usable and you can also place it on a plate/board & tie on your lap.

While standard pedestal's are heavy, if you get a brad, thin aluminium one, it will provide all the stability you need and will be light.

Gary
    Small, light wooden base with 4 suction cups on each corner also work a treat.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Small, light wooden base with 4 suction cups on each corner also work a treat.
    Where is mine???
    ;-)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Just buy a Jvice!! You won't be sorry!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1