Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bassa Da India

Default Bassa Da India

Hi Guys

Penny for your thoughts!

Been thinking about doing a trip to Bassas after hearing some epic stories from a guy in the UK who did a FF trip there. Has anyone been there and fished there successfully? Is it worth the trip and the expense or do you think that the money would be better spent on a trip to the likes of Seychelles, Caribbean or perhaps Oman? I realise Bassas is a mission to get to but I like the adventure side of it and being to a spot where few people have been. I was watching a DVD about it called Unchartered waters and one of the guys mentioned that fewer people have walked on Bassas than have climbed Everest!

Thanks
    J

Hi

A few of the guys on this forum have done trips there. Here's a link a brilliant report back on Bassas http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=bassas+india

And another one http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...t=bassas+india
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Hi Julz

Yes, go and take a look at those reports first. It is an epic place!!!!!

The difference between that and a place like the Seychelles is that Bassas has far greater risks associated with it - bad weather, the French etc...

The fish are generally also a bit on the strong side for fly tackle :-)

BUT..... it is a trip of a lifetime!!!!

Cheers
    MC

Julz if you can have a look at the below link, a few South African Guys that work here in the Uk went over and made a DVD from the trip its call Uncharted Waters - Bassas Da India, below is the trailer, I bought the DVD, awesome would like to do a trip there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS6jAaFPaok
    Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor28 View Post
    Julz if you can have a look at the below link, a few South African Guys that work here in the Uk went over and made a DVD from the trip its call Uncharted waters Bassa De India, below is the link to the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS6jAaFPaok
    Shot Trevor, I spoke to Jonathan at Sport Fish in Reading before I left the UK. He was one of the guys on that trip. Thats what got me thinking about it. I bought the DVD a couple weeks back. After watching it I couldn't sleep as the adrenaline was flowing! What gets me is how many fish get lost as they were too big to land on fly. Lucky I took Jonathans advice and instead of buying a 14wt I have instead purchased a 16wt for when I finally do this trip!

6. Default

I've heard of guys taking conventional blanks and having them built into "fly rods". Not sure how and if this works.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks Schloshd1 & MCC. I read most of the first thread that schamwari started needless to say I haven't got much work done today. I just gets me amped to do this. The guys I am looking at going with want to do a fishing ski mission and try take fishing ski's on the yacht and fish around the atoll from these. I am just worried about the safety factor though. Not sure how strong the currents are around here and the risk of being washed away from the atoll in a ski in the middle of the Mozambique Channel is quite high. Would be epic on a good day though.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I've heard of guys taking conventional blanks and having them built into "fly rods". Not sure how and if this works.
    Hey Mario

Yup have heard of that as well. I guess it would work well if you are fishing the depth finder lines and casting was not too much of an issue but wouldn't know where to start looking for the right blanks.Hopefully my 16wt will hold out.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JulzD View Post
    Hey Mario

Yup have heard of that as well. I guess it would work well if you are fishing the depth finder lines and casting was not too much of an issue but wouldn't know where to start looking for the right blanks.Hopefully my 16wt will hold out.
    A #16 should be fine
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Flip I have just finished reading the second thread, thanks Schloshd1 & MCC. What a read. I thought I would have a ''quick'' look at it but literally couldn't stop reading! Sounds like an awesome adventure. If only there were no men in grey suits around and you actually had time to land some of those monsters that kept getting taxed. Gonna have to start saving to make this trip a reality hopefully try make it there next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast