Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Bushmans Revisited

Default The Bushmans Revisited

Right Boys and girls, I just returned from the Bushmans and I thought I would share a quick report and some random snaps of the weekend.

To some this might make their week and to others, it might just ruin the rest of the week. So here goes.....

The fabled crow sign....This is no Urban Legend, this thing is for real

There is a bit of a story around this fish, but I will get to that later

Double Rainbow, not an everyday sight

Some really lovely fish that you caught. The Bushmans is a very special river.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I decided to hit the Bushmans around this coming weekend, but I couldn't get a spot at my usual hiding place, so I decided to go this past weekend. Initially it would have been myself and my eldest son Xavier, but he decided to stay mid last week. I was in a bit of a "har-war", but decided to still go even if it meant going on my own, because honestly who would join on a last minute phone call?

So Thursday I left the big smoke around 13:30 and I headed down to the Giants Castle Area. The going was horrid as there was still roadworks going on and there was a massive accident. I managed to clock in at around 19:00 and might I add, that the last section of road from White Mountain is not worth being called a road.

Went to bed early and got up fairly early on Friday morning. Decided to fish the Reserve from the Cottages upwards this was from about 10am. Well the going was tough, I only landed two Browns on the Elk Hair Caddis fishing the Tenkara. At lunchtime I went and fished outside the reserve and I wanted to try out the little Fiberglass Scott, so I still went ahead with the Elk Hair Caddis. Saw fish rising and made a cast in the direction of the rises. The fly would drift and I would hold my breath, thinking zap, nou, vat hom fluffy. Niks, nada, boggerol. I decided to make another cast and I saw a Brown rise to the fly and then just turn away. So I took off the EHC and went with a Size 8 Foam Hopper with a #16 CDC Zak as a dropper. First cast and the nymph was taken up by a Brown.

I pushed on and landed Browns and Bows on the Nymph and every now and then an eager Bow would smash the Foam Hopper. At last light I changed back to the EHC and nailed the Bows almost cast after cast. Went to bed early Friday, I was hammered.

Saturday I slept in and only got onto the water late in the morning. Decided to fish a different section in the reserve. Well here the going was even tougher as it was a one fish one cast per pool scenario. I went over boulders and through thick bush to get to the next pool. Here I landed another on the Zak suspended below the Hopper and later changed to a two nymph rig and landed yet another. The weather caught up with me and I decided to call it a day. After 4 the weather cleared and I was back on the water at about 16:30. Fished outside the reserve again and I was yet again fishing the Hopper Dropper and with great success. Later I changed to the EHC and then it was something you only hear off but never see yourself.

I hooked into fish the one after the other cast. I would catch 6 or so without even moving. I would move a bit, see a rise next to me, put the fly down and see the Bow take it as it jumps out the water. I lost count here. It was insane.

Two things stood out for me. The one was where I clapped the Bow in the photo with the rod and reel in it. The Bow took the Hopper and as I was fighting it, a Bow about double the size took the Dropper and when this smaller bow actually hooked the larger one and was heading upstream, this larger fish decided enough of this. It shook its head and off it went with the little nymph. Luckily the smaller Bow stuck to the Hopper.

The second thing was the strength the Bows fought with. I could not believe how the 15-20cm fish would just not surrender. It would dart down when you bring it to the surface and they used the higher flows to their advantage. I had one Bow on the surface with it's dorsal sticking out, this did not put it off by running a wake on the surface. I just stood there thinking that this is totally mind blowing.

So how much fish did I catch? 50-70 maybe even more, I honestly lost count.
    I do recall catching 10 Browns. Two on EHC and the rest on the little CDC Zak.
    I did land a 40cm Brown but I couldn't get a photo of it as I did not have a net on me and handling it by the line at my feet, it came off when I wanted to take a snap of it.

So here is a list of the flies that worked

1. Elk Hair Caddis
    2. Foam Hopper
    3. CDC Zak with Chartreuse bead

Thanks for watching
    Last edited by E.T.; 18-03-13 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Some really lovely fish that you caught. The Bushmans is a very special river.
    Korra, the water was about 15-20cm higher than what you guys fished it during last year's nationals. The fast water was okay if it was up to your knees, higher than that and you would just loose your footing and get taken downstream. This I avoided at all cost.

The fishing was just pumping. I caught more fish in a day, than what I did last year in 3 days on the Bushmans. But, might I add, this river is a river that keeps on changing. If you adapt, you get fish. If you don't well then you go home empty handed.

I fished with Pascal and Said, 2 weeks before you, and the water was high as well, probably the same level as went you went. Said caught quite a few on the Tabanas (very similar to the Elk hair caddis) and some on nymph.
    Pascal also got some on the dry but more on the nymph
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Very very nice

Thanks for the report

Great report & photos - thanks! It shows how adapting to the circumstances - & reading them correctly - can result in outstanding fishing even in difficult conditions.
    Mike Mitchley

Blog Entries

Great report! Thank you very much for sharing . . .
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast