Thread: Filoplume feathers

You mean every word.....
    Gerrit Viljoen

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    You mean every word.....
    No, I'll keep quiet every 1st word
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Supergill,

Filoplume creates a great effect but is not the easiest to work with and you need loads of feathers if you want to tie a Filo dragon for example. You can almost get the same effect with other methods, like Zonker strip, base fibres of some feathers, marabou etc. Use these materials in a split thread with Petitjean tool or bulldog clip.
    Thanks. I was wondering what other materials would act in a similar way. i am wanting to tie a Filoplume dragon. Could it work if one used the petitjean tool / bulldog clip to take the rabbit fur off the (zonker) strip to put into a split thread? How would one get a combo Olive and Brown colouration in the body?

You can get various colours with the Petitjean tool. Just put the different colours on top of one another when using the tool and when you spin the thread (split thread technique) the colours will blend. The best way to improve your tying is actually tying. Try different techniques. If you don't like...throw away...try again.

The great thing about fly tying products is that they will last a looonggg time. I have had a partridge skin for ages. Haven't even made a dent in the material. So experiment.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by supergill View Post
    Thanks. I was wondering what other materials would act in a similar way. i am wanting to tie a Filoplume dragon. Could it work if one used the petitjean tool / bulldog clip to take the rabbit fur off the (zonker) strip to put into a split thread? How would one get a combo Olive and Brown colouration in the body?
    Hi Supergill,

You can use zonker, also woolly bugger marabou (not blood quills) and also the base fibers of a feather (see the fluff below the speckled fibers in Darryl's photo.) As mentioned by Jean,you can place the brown over the olive when using the Petijean clip, what also creates great effect is to add a bit of dubbing between the materials before pushing it down in the clip, for some subtle sparkle. When taking the materials out of the clamp with the clip you can also grip it at an angle for an already tapered effect when it is put in the split thread, this works great for the shorter stubby dragon nymphs. It is also possible to pinch of materials with your nails afterwards to create a taper.

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

6. Default

Forgot to mention, you can grip the base feather directly from the stem with the clamp, also if you spread the hair on the zonker strip to stand out at a 90 degree angle with the skin, grip it directly with the clamp from the skin, with the Petijean clip you can create more effect.

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

Check here.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Thanks Gertjie
    'n paar interesante vliee daar,
    Die Crayfish is baie goed.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by The Largie Whisperer View Post
    I think the correct name for those feathers are aftershaft feathers and not Filoplume. Some Dutchman told me that....
    Correct. StreamX sells packs of turkey (marabou) aftershaft (filoplume) feathers.
    Regards
    Craig

Just to ad to the thread. The filoplume dragons tied in the natural color ,or as a mate of mine likes to call them "mouse flies", works extremly good as well. i do think its more the movement of the materials than the color. It's one dragon imatation i do not go without!! I got some packets at wildfly in Notties and off the phesant rump fethers. I supose the marabou in split thread would work but the filoplume is mutch softer than the marabou fibers so more movement i would think. But yes they are verry dificult to get hold of and if you do you do not allways get good quality fethers.
    NOTE! You do need a decent hackle pliers to work with and it can be a bit frustrating in the begining to get use to.
    A mate of mine also bought a few packets of good quality fethers in Vereninging at a shop I'm just mot sure what shop as he did not rememer the name.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12