Thread: Swartkops skippies - finally

Default Swartkops skippies - finally

Last week I finally landed my first few swartkops skippies on fly. I've been specifically targeting these guys for the past two years and I think I can safely say they were my absolute nemesis. I recall 2 sessions on the river this time last year where the river was literally erupting with skippies all around me but I just could not get a fly stick. I don't think there is much that has ever come close to the frustration that it results from shoaling skipjack who don't seem to be feeding!

Alas, last week on the Swartie it was a classic case of "match the hatch" and I came right. I had been flogging away for a good few hours up river when I decided to change things up. The fly I tied on was one I tied up earlier this year whilst up in Mozam. We were trying to imitate the transluscent baitfish that the bonnies and tune were chowing offshore. I had with me a very limited tying kit and the resulting fly was a bit of a surf candy, tin-foil special. Some SF blende, a tin foil / epoxy belly and some pronounced eyes did the trick. I think it may have made a decent gillcrestello imitation ??

Two throws later I had landed my first two Swartkops skippies. Not the biggest fish, but they both cartwheeled downriver giving a a great show. Incredibly rewarding fishing and a great lesson to learn. Following that I had a few more bumps and missed-hookups from skips and landed a couple "better" rat leerie.

It amazes me how the Swartkops continues to produce fish even withstanding all the pollution and degradation

IMG05025-20130315-1210 (1).jpg
    IMG05023-20130315-1210.jpgIMG05039-20130317-1503.jpg

well done...perseverance pays off...a species on the top of my bucket list still
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Well done!

I take my hat of to you boet. Last time I were fishing Sodwana from the rocks, I would see them jump about in the waves, just too far out to get a fly to them. You really thought out the box here.
    Well done to you on the flies and the catches.

Nice Dave.
    One fish that I am still to catch. I dream about that fight.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Awesome stuff Dave. Still gotta get one of those boys on fly. Must be one of the best species in SA saltwater to catch.

Blog Entries

Well done Dave, I
    tied a similar pattern using flash for the belly and Clear Cure Glue flexible - for the soft feel. I sometimes use white rabbit fur for the tail. I normally fish it behind a flipper or clouser. What size hook is that? Regards
    Niel

Thanks guys. Sorry for the late reply Neil. I have been off on worldy adventures.

The hook was a standard Mustad 1/0 if I am not mistaken. Since this experience Ive managed a few more skippies.'Without a doubt one of the most exhilarating fish to catch in SA waters from the shore!

Blog Entries

Fantastic,
    heading up to KZN next week and hope to wet a line.
    Will take some similar flies with.
    Regards
    Niel