Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what classes a fly from a lure

Default what classes a fly from a lure

Hi guys and girls.In your opinions what is the difference between a fly and a lure.how far can you tie something before it become a lure. Can anyone give some advice

My understanding of the difference between a fly and a lure with regards to trout is that a fly imitates the trouts natural food ie it is a close replica of what they are feeding on (think nymphs and dry flies) whereas a lure is something that does not necassarily imitate natural food that the trout eats (think brightly coloured flies like blobs and zonkers etc).

do you mean lure, as in "lure fishing/dropshot etc"?

In that case, its easy:

fly = cast with the weight of the fly line
    lure = cast with the weight of the lure itself
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Haha ... c'mon spill the beans, what new "fly" are you creating?

I think if you are "tying" it and you can still sort of cast it on a fly line (or if you can dap it or tenkara it) then technically it's probably a "fly" ... or even a "lure" if you wish to call it that Pommies love to go "flyrodding" with all sorts of "lures" like dog-knobblers for example.

In any case there are no general rules about this and nobody goes to jail or the sin-bin for pushing the boundaries.

"Fly" in pic below has a whisp of about six synthetic fibers (for structural purposes) under a body of double sided clear 3M tape

The highest form of existence is play.

Blog Entries

Depends on whether you're speaking to a purist or not....

Thanks guys for the imput.the way I feel is if I throw if with a fly fod and line and I make it myself then its a fly.I think the fresh water guys might be sticky about flies.I hope the saltwater guys are not.I'm submitting my article on grunter this week and my fly so let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    "Fly" in pic below has a whisp of about six synthetic fibers (for structural purposes) under a body of double sided clear 3M tape
    Brilliant!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Booger Rose Banned User

I always thought a fly becomes a lure as soon as you tie in something that moves/spin or rattle. Some time back you could get a fly with some kind of propellor in the front and I thought that was just a spinner and not a fly. Pushing the boundary, in my understanding, would be to tie in a lip to give the fly a vibrating bait fish motion.

On the other hand, I've tied a fly with a light stick in for shad, worked a charm and I've felt that it was a fly and not a lure.

What would the competition rules be for this?

Just cast the thing using "fly-fishing techniques" and you're fine!!!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Booger Rose Banned User

Using a 16wt you can cast a 6oz sinker using ff techniques, just wait for the back cast to load nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast