Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite flies for yellows

Default Favourite flies for yellows

With a trip to the Orange happening shortly, I would like to know what your favourite flies are for SM yellows ?

Thanks,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I like to use Gary Glen Youngs holo series of flies. They always produce! Some other flies which I like are the mustad caddis, paul slayer, prince nymph, grhe, san juan, atomic worm. I don't think that you need many different flies as such, just different variations and / or weights. One thing that I have also learnt is to have more that enough leader/tippet so take a couple of spools with as spares or backups. Also, have a look at Keith Wallington's site,http://www.yellowsonfly.com
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I like to use Gary Glen Youngs holo series of flies. They always produce! Some other flies which I like are the mustad caddis, paul slayer, prince nymph, grhe, san juan, atomic worm. I don't think that you need many different flies as such, just different variations and / or weights. One thing that I have also learnt is to have more that enough leader/tippet so take a couple of spools with as spares or backups. Also, have a look at Keith Wallington's site,http://www.yellowsonfly.com
    Thanks Dizzy, was reading the favoured flies and techniques book last night and liked the look of GGY's flies.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Hi there Darryl

Tim Rolston uses a basic pattern tied with a lead wire body and a head of Peacock Hearl on the Orange. The lead wire is simply wrapped and then covered with reddish or green nail varnish. Simple and highly effective in the bigger sizes between #6 and # 10.

The other great pattern for the Orange is a basic Brassie on sizes 18 to 12.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there Darryl

Tim Rolston uses a basic pattern tied with a lead wire body and a head of Peacock Hearl on the Orange. The lead wire is simply wrapped and then covered with reddish or green nail varnish. Simple and highly effective in the bigger sizes between #6 and # 10.

The other great pattern for the Orange is a basic Brassie on sizes 18 to 12.

Cheers
    MC
    Hi MC,

Thanks very much for reminding me, I remember watching Tim tie that pattern at Sean's shop - will definitely tie up some. I have tied some Brassies in a range of sizes and colours. What hooks do you use for tying your czech nymphs ?

Thanks,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Darryl,

I’m not sure if you’re looking for “other” flies or variations of the more common yellow flies e.g. Hotspots, rock worms etc. I unfortunately don’t tie my own flies yet, but have recently come across some new “test flies” that Blue Water Flies have tied on Tungsten hooks. They are my favourite flies for yellows at the moment.

The hotspot hooks are the std mayfly hooks and the Caddis/Czech flies on are circle hooks. I’ve had great success with both types of flies. The circle hooks make good clean fish hook ups, with the added advantage of less snagging on the bottom. I actually don’t have to use any split shot with these tungsten hook either. (Only if the water is flowing really strong). I have 6 variations of these tungsten flies and have caught yellows with ever one of them.

GGY’s flies are all excellent but with you’re tying skills I’d also tie a few Plaza Pupas. They’ve also served me well!

Darryl

For my heavier control type flies there is only one hook and that is the new Mustad light wire circle hook. I am not sure of the code, but Sean stocks them. We have tried all the other brands of circle hooks, but they are far inferior.

For lighter weight flies the TMC 205 BL is great. That is if you can track some down. This is basically a fancy vd Merwe hook and the shape is perfect for Czech Nymps. There is also a new model gamakatsu out that has the same shape, but I am not sure whether you will find them down here.

Enjoy the trip.

MC

Darryl,

The patridge hooks that you bought- do they have a funny bend next to the point? i.e. the point is not inline with the shank- it veers off to the left. I see all my patridges have this. I did not notice it when I bought them- looks a bit strange...

Kevin, I have found that an of set point are very efficient and ensure more hook ups, when you are tying small patterns. I think the also add a small wobble to the fly as it is either retrieved, or as it drops though the water column.

Darrel, please give us some feed back on what worked for you??
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
    Darryl,

I’m not sure if you’re looking for “other” flies or variations of the more common yellow flies e.g. Hotspots, rock worms etc. I unfortunately don’t tie my own flies yet, but have recently come across some new “test flies” that Blue Water Flies have tied on Tungsten hooks. They are my favourite flies for yellows at the moment.

The hotspot hooks are the std mayfly hooks and the Caddis/Czech flies on are circle hooks. I’ve had great success with both types of flies. The circle hooks make good clean fish hook ups, with the added advantage of less snagging on the bottom. I actually don’t have to use any split shot with these tungsten hook either. (Only if the water is flowing really strong). I have 6 variations of these tungsten flies and have caught yellows with ever one of them.

GGY’s flies are all excellent but with you’re tying skills I’d also tie a few Plaza Pupas. They’ve also served me well!
    Hi Mayfly,

Thanks for the info, I haven't seen the new hooks you mention down in Cape Town yet but will look out for them. I have tied a variety of different patterns so far and will tie some more once I am on the water.

Thanks,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast