Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting fish

Default Hunting fish

Guys what would your thoughts be on starting a thread where one post photos of stream/river sections and discuss tactics? Marking likely target areas, tips on approaching the section, flies to try etc... It can be any specie, any stream/river, any section!
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Janse van Rensburg View Post
    Guys what would your thoughts be on starting a thread where one post photos of stream/river sections and discuss tactics? Marking likely target areas, tips on approaching the section, flies to try etc... It can be any specie, any stream/river, any section!
    You just have I think Nice +
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I didn't know where to post the question hence the thread. Plus I'm sure if there is no interest the thread can be removed.
    Nature does not differentiate between threats, Mother Earth bears them all and we as her creatures are the ones that can make a difference.
    -Ilan Lax

FlyFanatic Banned User

I think this is a very good thread, especially for the likes of yellowfish. A lot has been written on trout, how about something for yellows?

I am thinking 2 different scenarios, smallmouth yellowfish in running river (rapids), largemouth yellowfish in a section of river which have some pools etc where the fish can cruise/ambush their prey.

If you have a look on Tom Sutcliffes site you will find a selection of articles named spotting trout, very good! Would be nice having something similar here, downstream/upstream/cross look at a section of a river and some tactics on how to approach this piece of river. If the owner of the photo could supply some details after the discussion on where the fish actually came out from this would be even better!

Great idea Johan! I will have a look for a photo and start this one off!

P.S. If this thread does not get any positive response then you can close down FlyTalk cuz then the whole spirit of this forum has gone..

I know about the spotting trout on uncle Tom's site and thought we can do something more "extensive". For example I sat round a table once at Eikendal and MarkK drew a sketch of a stream and asked juniors to explain to him how they would approach the section. that specific spot had a pool with a lot of sediment so the normal wade upstream strategy wouldn't have worked. So the best way was to get out and get cover behind some grass patches and fish from there. Something like that... This is what I was thinking of when I started this thread. When I still had the time to fish every weekend I came across spots where I had no clue what to do and made shots in the dark, with some success, but i'm sure there were better approaches to some of those spots. The idea with this thread is that one can take a photo of a difficult spot and post it here maybe explain what you did and get some feedback.

As I mentioned before this thread can be used for trout, yellow, carp, tigers, bass etc... covering any stream or river, pockets, pools , lips...
    -Ilan Lax

Until now I didn't have any photos of a section of stream that would be helpful for this thread so after working near one today I couldn't let the opportunity pass by. This is not the best piece but it was the one that came out best after the 2 min photo shoot. On past outings it did produce some nice strong fish. So here we go....

Picture1.jpg

For this little section the target is trout and redfin. The flow is almost non-existent when the river is this low. I would approach from a downstream position and fish mostly the areas indicated with red lines and ovals. the orange oval is also a target area. the mark on the left hand side of the picture is waterboat men going in circles. when approaching I will keep right behind the palmiet and fish the lip and up until half way mark of the first red line and then move a bit more left, keeping low, and fish til the end of the red line pushing the fly snug against the palmiet. I would either use a dry dropper or strip a small streamer through. I will not enter the water and keep low on the left bank fishing the orange oval and moving on to the head of the pool, marked with the red oval. if I did not spook any fish or didn't get any takes. I would drift or cast a small streamer downstream stripping it upstream as close as possible to the palmiet. Flies of choice would be #14 stimulator and a #14-16 tungsten bead PTN or zak for the dry dropper combo. Small streamer would be a #10-12 woolybugger of a blobfly.

Feel free to add anything or tell me if my approach was wrong and what you would do differently!
    -Ilan Lax

7. Default

In water that thin (from the pic, could be wrong) and downstream approach might not be all that wise. Hard to see how deep it is. For me, 1st option would be a dry and dropper combination fished right up close to the palmiet, but, up and across. Looks like there could be a deeper channel in the middle as well - would try that 1st if it was there, then work my way from left to right.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Fish Pascal's leader formula and Pascal's special casts.
    upstream tactic.
    The leader will land on the palmiet or on the dry land, with enough slack for the tippet and fly to land upstream from the fish, and the fly driftting to the fish, with no tippet to line the fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Mario spot on! I totally forgot about the channel in the middle. I did mark it in blue...After some developments upstream flow in this pool isn't what it used to be. Currently there's no channel in the area of the blue line. I just added the downstream approach because I have fished it there once or twice with success. Water is low at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    In water that thin (from the pic, could be wrong) and downstream approach might not be all that wise. Hard to see how deep it is. For me, 1st option would be a dry and dropper combination fished right up close to the palmiet, but, up and across. Looks like there could be a deeper channel in the middle as well - would try that 1st if it was there, then work my way from left to right.
    -Ilan Lax

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Fish Pascal's leader formula and Pascal's special casts.
    upstream tactic.
    The leader will land on the palmiet or on the dry land, with enough slack for the tippet and fly to land upstream from the fish, and the fly driftting to the fish, with no tippet to line the fish.
    Korrie tell us a bit more about the tactics. what leader, how, where etc.. etc...
    -Ilan Lax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast