Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone Angler's 2013 5 Weight Rod Shootout

SageMan Banned User

Default Yellowstone Angler's 2013 5 Weight Rod Shootout

I seem to be finding that with these new shootouts, they contradict their opinion on a specific rod in a previous shootout, or am I just going crazy

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...os-2-greys-xf2

Quote Originally Posted by SageMan View Post
    I seem to be finding that with these new shootouts, they contradict their opinion on a specific rod in a previous shootout, or am I just going crazy

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...os-2-greys-xf2
    Whaqt "contradiction" are you refering to?
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

yes Sageman,i 100% agree with you..take for example the Hardy zenith,he says in the 2011 shootout that the rod is magical in every way..in this shootout it is just ok...read the 2011 article & the updated 2013 article PROPERLY and he contradicts himself many times

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    yes Sageman,i 100% agree with you..take for example the Hardy zenith,he says in the 2011 shootout that the rod is magical in every way..in this shootout it is just ok...read the 2011 article & the updated 2013 article PROPERLY and he contradicts himself many times
    I don't think so.

New rods have come out since the 2011 article, so the Zenith 2 years on, is not such a standout as it used to be.
    Gary

In the article of the 2011 5wt shootout,this statement was made by George Anderson...""In our shootout, we rated the Z-Axis a 20 at both 45 and 70 feet. It did produce an impressive performance, but we think the new ONE is slightly better, and will make a worthy successor to the Z-Axis line of rods."
    Ok,so the Z-axis came 2nd in this 2011 shootout,but George states the One is slightly better???
    And yet the sage ends up a lowly 8th position,and he basically calls it rubbish...is that not a major contradiction?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    In the article of the 2011 5wt shootout,this statement was made by George Anderson...""In our shootout, we rated the Z-Axis a 20 at both 45 and 70 feet. It did produce an impressive performance, but we think the new ONE is slightly better, and will make a worthy successor to the Z-Axis line of rods."
    Ok,so the Z-axis came 2nd in this 2011 shootout,but George states the One is slightly better???
    And yet the sage ends up a lowly 8th position,and he basically calls it rubbish...is that not a major contradiction?
    I disagree.
    Firstly I cannot find your quote in the 2011 shootout or anywhere else on the Yellowstone Angler website.. The ONE was not around in 2011.
    "Unfortunately, the ONE rods were not introduced early enough for us to get them into either our 2011 5-weight or 8-weight shootouts."

Quote from the Sage ONE review done in 2012.
    http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...one-rod-review
    In the ONE review, when comparing the 9ft 5wt ONE to the Z-Axis , they actually prefer the Z-Axis in that length/weight to the ONE, feeling the ONE was too stiff at close range. Thus the ONE would have scored LOWER than the Z-Axis (lower than #2) in the 2011 shootout, had it participated.

Also, while the Zenith was #1 with the Z-Axis #2, that was 2011. Since then, there have been lots of new rods released.
    So the Hardy Zenith has been overtaken by the GLoomis NRX LP (Light presentation - NOT the original NRX) and the Loop Opti Stream, ending up joint #3.
    The ONE would thus not have been able to end up any higher than #3+1 place (since it was not as good as the Z-Axis, which has since been discontinued) = #4. In reality it came in at #10 (not #8 as you said).

They did not say that the ONE is "basically rubbish", just that:
    This rod is too stiff and too slow in action. It’s actually very light in overall weight, but not in swing weight... I’d like to see softer tips on almost all the Sage rods... This Sage One is just awful at 25 feet. No feel and no accuracy. Most people would be a lot better off if they shifted up to say a WF-6-F Trout GPX on this rod. It would still have plenty of power to throw long without folding up."

So, based on their test criteria for 9ft 5wts, this was not as good as the rods which beat it.

Logical.

NOTE - I have a Sage ONE 10ft 6wt (built on a blank) which is an awesome rod. Yellowstone found that in the longer rods & heavier 6/7 weights, the ONE softened up and was a much better rod than the shorter, stiffer, lighter ONE's.
    Last edited by GGY; 09-05-13 at 11:33 AM.
    Gary

Hey Gary,you are correct,that quote did not come from the latest shootout.It was a comment made by George A before the release of the 2013 final results.I am a die hard sage fan,and overall Sage make the best rods in the world.Best casting,best looking & best service.I havnt tried the new Sage One 5wt unfortunately.Here in Durban no one has these rods so i cant even test cast it.I do find the poor placing of the sage a bit strange though.The Compleat Angler did a 5wt shootout last year and the Sage One tied first??Then i found that Reds Flyshop in the USA also had a 5wt shootout,and yes you guessed right,the Sage One 5wt won that one too??I definately want a Sage One but at 8K its a hectic price!

Every guy has a certain casting style and in this lies the problem.
    I have a fast style and like to bang the flies out quick.Some guys have this movie like slow and easy cast.I have seen with my friends who are slow casters they hate my rods as they are fast action.
    I would actually like to watch a video of say Yellowstone and maybe reds flyshop and their casting styles.Obviously they will choose different rods.That said however I still believe yellowstone offer a very good feedback on the rods performances at certain distance and all the other aspects of the rod.I tthink its great to use as base for your purchase but I am not gonna buy a zenith or sage for that matter just because it won a shootout.

Wish i could find a rod for half that price & twice the performance

St croix legend elite

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast