Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: lesotho escarpment hiking

Hi, i have done a few of these where you access Lesotho form the SA Side. if you have at least 4/5 days available you can do some nice loops of both the senqu and the kubelu.

I would recommend the following two starting from Mnweni.

Senqu: up Ntonjelana pass, down Tlhankanku River until it joins Senqu, then up Senqu to source and down Rockeries pass (very remote, not alot of people, spectacular scenery, good fishing)
    Kubelu: up Rockeries Pass, across to Kubleu, up the Kubelu river for about 15/20 km, then cut back to Escarpment and down ifidi pass (alot harder than above, lots more locals/herdsmen around (note have been some security issues in this area, good fishing)

Key things about doing this, you must:

1. be very fit
    2. know how to pack very light
    3. be experienced in mountains and not bothered to much by adverse/uncomfortable conditions (ie be able to navigate in mist, deal with wet and freezing conditions etc)

having said that, this is very doable and a fantastic experience. In retrospect i would do this in April rather when the rivers have a bit more water.

Feel free to PM me if you need more specific info.

m

Quote Originally Posted by meandmetoo View Post
    I know this thread is old. But if anyone wants to do a mission similar to this or is planning a mission I would love to join. I'm busy chatting to some local mountain guides about routes, equipment etc and am looking for people who would be keen for a big hike.

Any insight/advice/tips are most welcome
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I have spoken to one or 2 guys on a "hiking and fishing trip" where you end up "Hiking more than fishing" because the distances where too much to cover everyday.

On a normal day, fishing on good water, you will not cover more than 2km.
    So, if you plan to accordingly.
    i.e. Hike the distance, leave the back pack and back track and fish the water you want to fish.
    It is hectic to fish with a 20kg back pack or even 15kg back pack.

So, hike 5km, check the water and decide which parts you want to fish.
    Leave back pack and hike back with rod and flies. and fish the waters that is good.
    (that is if you can leave the back pack in a safe place.)
    My 2c from past experiences of hiking and fishing
    Your best bet is to get a local herd boy with a Lesotho 4 x 4 aka Donkey. Something that must be taken into consideration is the safety aspect and respect for the locals at the end of the day you are fishing in someones backyard and if you fish there with their permission, use them as guides they provide local knowledge and safety

Quote Originally Posted by PieterS View Post
    How are the rivers looking there at the moment? Fished there a couple of years ago
    Rivers have been good this winter and this last snowfall is hopefully a good sign for the upcoming spring season for trout. Aquifers and groundwater is fulling up

Quote Originally Posted by PieterS View Post
    Your best bet is to get a local herd boy with a Lesotho 4 x 4 aka Donkey. Something that must be taken into consideration is the safety aspect and respect for the locals at the end of the day you are fishing in someones backyard and if you fish there with their permission, use them as guides they provide local knowledge and safety
    Good advice. If you can get a donkey to carry the back pack, it is a winner at that altitude.
    Pay the local boy R100 a day and you have security as mentioned, for the 3 to 5 days, it is probably more than he will earn in a year. And one missing sleeping back is more than that, let alone a full back pack. Remember some of the locals cannot speak ANY ENGLISH.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Good advice. If you can get a donkey to carry the back pack, it is a winner at that altitude.
    Pay the local boy R100 a day and you have security as mentioned, for the 3 to 5 days, it is probably more than he will earn in a year. And one missing sleeping back is more than that, let alone a full back pack. Remember some of the locals cannot speak ANY ENGLISH.
    The teens and kids are all fairly good with english, it is nice to have a translator, one my one trip my guide spoke to very old man that showed us the quickest way down to the river and he took me to sections of the river that had the most fish

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6