Thread: Hermanus season report.

Default Hermanus season report.

So for me Hermanus fishing started in the December holidays. First two days of being there were tough but there were a few fish around. My dad got a +-50cm leerie on a grey over white deceiver opposite where the prawn flats boating channel meets the main channel. The next morning produced lots of takes for me and only one hook up of a leerie of over 80cm on a #4 grey over white epoxy head thing. Unfortunately I was fishing my 5wt at the time and it only lasted 5 seconds. The first 3 seconds were spent by the leerie trying to work out what had happened. It was hooked about 100m up from where the prawn flats boating channel meets the main channel. That evening I saw the first cob I have ever seen in Hermanus landed by a boy of around 10years. I estimate it at around 7 kg. It was released and he hooked two more of a similar size both of which he lost. For the rest of our stay the fishing went downhill, probably due to huge boating traffic and fishing pressure. In feb we started hitting Hermanus again. The fishing had improved somewhat. There were not huge numbers of leeries, but enough to keep you happy. Most were around 45 - 50cm so a nice size. The first time we fished Hermanus since the December Holidays we started by walking around to opposite the confluence of the boating channel and main channel. My dad got a leerie there of about 50cm and I lost one of about the same size. I had decided that a 7wat would be a good idea that day. We saw mullt being smashed on the other side round about whre I had lost the huge leerie in the holidays. My dad swam across with the lined while I held the rods and then I tightened up the drags and he pulled them across. I then swam across and walked up to where the fish were being chased. I was fishing two flies (yet to have a problem with it by the way). On dropper was a size 1/0 grey over white deceiver and on point a small epoxy head baitfish. I was using a medium strip and got hit at my feet and at the same time saw the fish. It looked about 70cm so I was amped. Then I watched my backing leaving my reel and I was pleased to be using the 7wt. When I saw the dorsil fin come out of the water I just kind of gave up. I said to my dad that I wouldnt land it but might as well hang on and I did so with my rod almost horizontal palming the reel expecting slack line any second. 15 minutes later I tailed it and measured it at 84cm. What a priveledge for a first leerie for me of the season and the first on my 7wt which I had built. Due to the swimming of the channel the phones were left on the other side and so no pictures were taken. It always seems to happen like that.
    From that point on in the season the fish seemed to become more colour specific and liked small flies. We caught on very sparse #2 flies in a lightish brown with a hint of olive. They seemed to prefer slower retrieves. I had one morning when they were rolling like tarpon which I have never seen before. Toward the end of the season they moved further up toward Elf Point and went deeper. Fly choice became less specific and they took white/ olive/ tan/brown but not grey. We had to wait for 15 seconds for our lines to sink before we started retrieving. Last time I was there they were back on bigger flies going for #1/0 mostly and loving tan sempers. The trick was to let sink for 25 seconds and then strip as fast as you can for 5 strips the pause. They hit on the pause. I was blanking until 10 minutes from the end when I got 1 of about 50cm and one which took me into my backing on an 8wt wich turned out to be 60cm on the dot. All in all an awesome season. I will see if I can find some pics although we took very few. Anyone else who fished Hermanus a bit this season please report back.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Nice report, good to hear hermanus is consistently producing again, and some bigger fish too
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Not just some. There were lots and lots of behemoth leeries around. I saw 30cm elf being smashed.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

nice report, thank you! I haven't had luck with the bigger fish this season but lots of medium sized fish around and landed.

Haven't been on this forum for quite some time. Off shore taking up most of my time of late. Good to see that you guys got good fish. I fish Hermanus at least once a month and we got some good fish as well. Mostly on live bait on the troll in the upper reaches of the estuary. Size wise not too many fish over the 50cm fork length mark. This is one of my favourite estuaries and it really can become a great fishery again. Unfortunately it is constantly plagued by idiots gill netting the main channel. Not to mention the keeping of undersize fish.

These guys come from Hawston at night and lay the nets out across the channel (roughly at the southwestern point of Maanskynbaai)

Masses of small leeries get caught up in these nets and we try to save what we can and then burn the bloody net. The Cape Nature official even knocked holes in their boat that they hid under some brush. (It burnt out later anyway)

Not trying to kill the mood on this thread. Always love reading about Hermanus. We have tagged quite a number of fish and have never gotten a recapture so if you guys land a tagged fish please keep the details. It just need some confirmation that the fish do survive and not all hope is lost with the poaching.

Ah man I have been wanting to sink or burn gill netters boats for a long time and then drown them in their own nets. I am getting less and less tolerant of people raping that estuary. I have seen steenbras of 15cm taken out and over 20 of them at a time. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH makes me mad a snake.