Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Naverone

Default Lake Naverone

Hi Gents

I am taking my grandad up Sani pass over the week end oof the 17th it is one of his bucket list items. We have booked at Lake Naverone and need some advice. As this is a Family outing, fising time will be limited so any and all advice to make the best of the limited time I have will be appreciated.

Some big fish, rewarding fishing, but not easy fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Lake Naverone is a relatively big water which means it can be a little tricky. That said there are plenty of fish so you'll definitely get something. It's finding the monsters that's a bit harder, but believe me, they're there.

http://bahaflyfishing.co.za/index.ph...30th-birthday/

Enjoy! And good luck!
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Remember they do not allow day visitors.

Thanks Guys!

Core, we dit book in for the weekend. I just hope I can get something on the end of my line.

Hi
    Let us know how the fishing was.
    If you hook into one of the monsters, you will know all about it.
    There are some really BIG fish.
    I would take a #7 rod, as it can get a bit windy, and with the big fish, you dont want to be under gunned.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Enjoy,its a awesome part of the world.Just word of warning.When you see the trib of the umzimkulu flowing past there you might reconsider the lake and rather fish the river,its stunning.

Korrie, thanks but I only have a 6wt that will have to do the job. Guese it will be a hold on and pray move!

Core fly , I will definatly have a look at the river!

MOnster - I've fished Naverone since I was 4 years old ( my *** parents own it ) and you will be more than fine with a 6wt... Like Korrie says, if the wind does get up, a 7wt can be helpful, but for 99% of the fishing I've done there, a 5wt is plenty....

Areas to focus on, are ( standing on the dam wall looking across the lake )
    Top Left Corner - There is a small inlet here, and fairly good weedbed structure.... along the bank in front of the pine trees is also good in that area
    Right Hand Bank - Areas in front of the first 3 cottages on the water hold some big fish... these can often be sighted cruising so keep an eye out.
    The Dam wall itself - The water drops off nicely off the wall, and is definitely worth fishing... late afternoons into early evening especially, long casts off the wall and then fished right back to the edge work well... be careful as in that late light/early darkness, the fish often smash you less than a metre from the edge...

Grass Carp - Be aware, there are alot of HUGE ( 30 kilo plus ) Grass Carp in the dam... so don't go chasing carp round the dam thinking they are the world biggest trout :-)

The River -Like Core fly says, its a stunning piece of water and can hold some nice fish, and definitely worth a few hours.. even if you take the kids along, there is a nice path along the river they can enjoy while you fish...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Nepptune.

Now that is good local advice. Thank you! I am taking my grand parents and I don't have kids.....that I know of. I will definatly try all your spots! Can you give me some fly advice. I need to tie a couple in the evenings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast