Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lake Naverone

Kids.. Grandparents... they both have the same requirements right? :-) Somewhere safe, pretty, enjoyable etc... Hahaha, Naverone fits all those needs...

Flies wise, your standard KZN stillwater patterns will work ( Mrs Simpsons, Walkers Killers etc ) but I've also done very well in the big dam at Naverone on the following:

Beadhead Peacock Wooly Buggers ( especially off the wall on late evenings )
    Rec Eyed Damsels and Papa Roaches especially up at the top inlet area
    Streamer patterns like Matukas, with some orange in them
    There are often large numbers of small minnows along the edges, especially in the harbours ( also good fishing ) and a pattern that resembles a small minnow can be a killer... I've had some great sport with my 00# and a small minnow pattern off the float tube, casting up against the reeds and with a fast retrieve... always the samller fish, but good fun...

I did most of my fishing there during my early days and teens, as you can see by my fly choices... I was too young to concentrate much on "real" fly patterns or more imitative patterns.... So I can't really give any recommendations there... a look at any of the Stillwater books like Dean Riphagen's book, or some of Tom Sutcliff's earlier works should give you a good guide...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Kids.. Grandparents... they both have the same requirements right? :-) Somewhere safe, pretty, enjoyable etc... Hahaha, Naverone fits all those needs...

Flies wise, your standard KZN stillwater patterns will work ( Mrs Simpsons, Walkers Killers etc ) but I've also done very well in the big dam at Naverone on the following:

Beadhead Peacock Wooly Buggers ( especially off the wall on late evenings )
    Rec Eyed Damsels and Papa Roaches especially up at the top inlet area
    Streamer patterns like Matukas, with some orange in them
    There are often large numbers of small minnows along the edges, especially in the harbours ( also good fishing ) and a pattern that resembles a small minnow can be a killer... I've had some great sport with my 00# and a small minnow pattern off the float tube, casting up against the reeds and with a fast retrieve... always the samller fish, but good fun...

I did most of my fishing there during my early days and teens, as you can see by my fly choices... I was too young to concentrate much on "real" fly patterns or more imitative patterns.... So I can't really give any recommendations there... a look at any of the Stillwater books like Dean Riphagen's book, or some of Tom Sutcliff's earlier works should give you a good guide...
    One fly that always seemed to produce and later became my go to fly at Naverone was the Pancora Wolly bugger, really effective!!!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

I have fished there alot...i was up there last weekend..the river is very low and crystal clear.Best spots are along the dam wall if youre on a float tube.My best spot is definately a little to the left of reception past the boats on a "jetty"(its a piece of land) that runs parallel to the dam.From halfway along the jetty to the end is deadly.You will know youre in the right spot if there is water behind you in a little bay & the cottages are in front of you on the far bank.Ive had better success fishing off there on land than off my tube!My killer flies are a black red eyed damsel size 12 long shank & an OLIVE bead head wooly bugger,size 8-10.For some reason naverone fish love anything olive.
    good luck

Awesome advice. Thanks gents

The fish are calling and iets only Tuesday! I'll be going nuts by Thursday...

Ok, iets confirmed! Today is offically the longest day I have ever had!

Howsit
    i had the pleasure of spending a few days at Lake Naverone last October. I didnt find any big trout but managed to catch many smaller fish. I found the dark olive filo-plume dragon the most effective. Strangely enough, most of the fish i caught were in the middle of the dam.. i had very little success on the edges.

I couldnt help myself chasing some of those monster grass carp either - they are quite a sight!

Good luck

Hi Gents

Just a quick report back. We arrived at a very wet and cold lake naverone at six on friday night only to be surprized by a packed fire place nad a coal stove already warming the chalet. The rooms are large and the living spaces perfect. We stayed at goose cottage.The mission was to take my granddad up sani pass so fishing was playing second fiddle. However the rods where rigged on friday night and we had an amazing dinner of borrie rolls and ended the night with a short walk compliments of Mr Johnny Walker Black.

The next morning saw the sone comming up and I was flogging the water with every thing I had only to land one of under a kg on a superman. Man, this place is pretty and when the wind is still the mountains reflect on the water to the point that you start questioning your orientation.

I only had two hours of fising before we went up sani pass to find snow at the top. This place is a must go and one should see it atleast once in your live time.

I mannaged to fish for about an hour after our return and landed two newborns on a DDD. Sunday was left to packing up and heading back home, but I am sure Lake naverone will see me again.

Good People, great loding and if I had more time I am sure more fish would have found their way into my landing net. It is clear that there is a lot more fish acivity in the middle of the dam than to the sides, so Saflyfish is correct. Again thank you for all the advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2