Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flies: Adams Irrisistable vs DDD

You can use a foam block (the soft ethrafoam type they package PC monitors in) and a large bulldog clip as a substitute for a magic tool. Get a nice block of foam and cut it as wide as you bull dog clip. Cut groove a across this about 1 cm deep.

Now lay the deer hair across the groove at 90deg. Take a piece of wire, place it over the hair over the groove an pull it down, forcing the deer hair into the groove so it stands up from the surface of the block. Now you can grip it with the bulldog clip like you would with the magic tool, cut the deer hair in half as suggested and use the clip to place the deer hair nicely and evenly into your loop.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Harry Darbee and his missus from NY. What is a 'pictorial' - a fin from a fish?

just seen a great video on the tying of the Adams Irresistable by Davey McPhail on the hatchesmagazine.com website.
    to my untrained eye the differences are moot.
    but the video sequence certainly helped me: now the fat fingers just have to try and copy the deft tying of Davey.
    pete

Peter, thanks for ressurecting this thread. It seems that when this thread was first started "all those years ago", it never really got to the point where the original questions were answered. The origin of the DDD is something I have also surmised about, so i took the liberty of mailing Tom, and asking him. This is what he had to say:-

Hi Andre

Thanks for you wishes and email. The Adams Irresistible is a very similar pattern to the DDD and it certainly came first. I tied the DDD in the 70’s when I was in Natal to imitate a big grey beetle fall on the Umgeni River a brown trout stream. It at first had no tail. That came later as did the use of klipspringer hair. That’s when we found it worked a treat in dams and I named the fly after a friend at the time, Bill Duckworth. The dams were in the Dargle so that’s where Duckworth’s Dargle Delight (DDD) got its name.

Hope that helps

Best

Tom
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I almost think I read this in one of the Doctor's books sometime back.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2