Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best knot for tying loops with fine tippet?

Default Best knot for tying loops with fine tippet?

I buy knotless tapered leaders and cut the last 30cm off and make a loop so i can add tippet with a loop to loop connection.I find on 6X and smaller tying a double surgeons loop in the tippet it breaks 90% of the time.What is a better loop knot?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    I buy knotless tapered leaders and cut the last 30cm off and make a loop so i can add tippet with a loop to loop connection.I find on 6X and smaller tying a double surgeons loop in the tippet it breaks 90% of the time.What is a better loop knot?
    I always use a triple surgeons to connect leader to tippet, loops work but I find them a bit messy and also they don't help with presentation. It is a bit tricky but just make sure both the leader and tippet are wet and you shouldn't have a problem!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Hi, see the attached sketch.
    Little trick Pascal and Said showed me.
    Make a knot (Pitzen or Grinner) over a needle and tighten. You will have micro loop. add UV knotsense
    Join your tippet with a Pitzen or Grinner Knot onto the micro loop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Excuse my Picasso impressions of a knot, but I think you get the idea.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi, see the attached sketch.
    Little trick Pascal and Said showed me.
    Make a knot (Pitzen or Grinner) over a needle and tighten. You will have micro loop. add UV knotsense
    Join your tippet with a Pitzen or Grinner Knot onto the micro loop.
    That's genius. I've always tried to make the smallest loop i can, however this method beats mine hands down.

Stanton
    I used an expletive word or 2 with genius to describe it, when they showed this to me.
    SO SIMPLE, SO EASY.
    For years I did a very small perfection loop and then did the tippet with the Pitzen, but this knot over the needle was MUCH smaller.
    Korrie Broos

Stanton
    I used an expletive word or 2 with genius to describe it, when they showed this to me.
    SO SIMPLE, SO EASY.
    For years I did a very small perfection loop and then did the tippet with the Pitzen, but this knot over the needle was MUCH smaller.
    Awesome knot, but how easy is this to do in a fishing situation when you need to change tippet quickly?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Blog Entries

That is bloody clever - should have thought of that sooner
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Awesome knot, but how easy is this to do in a fishing situation when you need to change tippet quickly?
    It is like putting your tippet thru the eye of the hook. MUCH MUCH easier than tripple surgeons. or me at least. especially if you are changing the 2 meter lenght of tippet
    Korrie Broos

It is like putting your tippet thru the eye of the hook. MUCH MUCH easier than tripple surgeons. or me at least. especially if you are changing the 2 meter lenght of tippet
    Okay cool, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast