Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can be done with this material?

Wiets Banned User

Default What can be done with this material?

I found this material in a small local Chinese shop. It is a woven braided tube manufactured from plastic with a shiny tinsel woven into the braid. The tinsel woven into the braided tube is either silver, gold or pearlescent. The braid can be stretched or compressed. I paid about R13-00 per bundle and there is about 15 to 20 meters in each bundle. As can be seen, there are a number of available colours. It is extremely light, quick flexible, very strong and will not absord water. The ruler, lighter and the Gamakatsu SS15 2/0 hook is for sizing reference.

The pinkisk thread shown in the braided tube below (2nd photo) is indeed not pink - it is like your typical pearlescent flashabou material.

What can be done with this material?

PS. If you want a 150 mm sample of this, send me an PM or email.

Last edited by Wiets; 24-05-07 at 04:05 AM.

Does it concertina into a broader shape when compressed? If so, it could be used to make baitfish immitations, the compressed piping forming a belly. The colours certainly look good for baitfish immitations
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Chris, does it have a brand name?

Wiets Banned User

No, there is no brandname anywhere on the package. I found it in the exact packaging as shown in the top photo. I asked the shop owner where he obtained it, he was only prepared to say that he imported it direct from China.

You can indeed compress/concertina the material, but it works like a spring - not much expansion in the diameter of the tube. This material also have lots of memory in that it retains it's original tube shape even when pressed flat.

I have an idea that it is the same stuff as the "Glimmer Braid" shown on http://www.cascadecrest.com/group.asp?grp=156&pgrp=43, selling at US$ 4.50 per yard.
    Last edited by Wiets; 24-05-07 at 10:44 AM.

Looks very much like a kind of "mylar tubing". If you can unravel (spelling?) one end it will make some pretty cool bead eye sprat imitations. At 13 bucks for a bundle what a pleasure.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Looks very much like a kind of "mylar tubing". If you can unravel (spelling?) one end it will make some pretty cool bead eye sprat imitations. At 13 bucks for a bundle what a pleasure.
    It looks like the tubing is made from nylon strands - the individual strands are quite stiff and retains it shape/form. It can be unravelled with each strand keeping it's coiled shape - somewhat messy though.

Go look at Bob Popervicks book it should blow your mind and you will soon have ideas. The book popped to mind as soon as I saw the material.

Wiets Banned User

Some of you guys have by now received a small sample of this material. What are your thoughts on this? How about tying a flie and posting a photo?

nope - they've not got it yet. it's going out with the balsa, which is driving to CT with me tomorrow
    the patient mental...

Wiets Banned User

The guys who have now received this material - any feedback?
    What can it be used for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.