Thread: Crab patterns for stillwater trout

Default Crab patterns for stillwater trout

Korries post , in the lakensvlei thread, has hit on an iteresting topic. 20 crabs in a trout's stomach. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it. The fish in lakensvlei are gorging themselves on crabs. Ok, they eating other stuff as well, but crabs seem to be the predominant food source. perhaps crabs are dominant in the dam. Not sure where crabs sit in the aquatic fresh water food chain, ie, what is their food source, and how do they predate? Are they in fact land crabs whose habitat has become inundated due to the rising water, or are they aquatic crabs who live in the water?
    Many fish were forund in the shallows, which could lend strentgh to the theory that they might be land crabs. I just dont know.
    What I do know, is that its a major food source, and we need to discover how to fish crab patterns effectively.
    Chucking fritzes and wooly buggers all ove rthe dam, and hoping for the best, might not be the best tactic. How about a scientific approach to fishing crabs, in the manner which crabs behave?
    Anyone got any clever ideas?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Andre

Maybe a small fleeing crab? Tied Merkin style? Fished with a figure of eight retrieve near the bottom. Pretend they are bonefish that you cannot see

Andre
    Bob mentioned that stable dam levels mean bigger crab populations.
    If you are chucking wooly buggers and catching crab eating fish, why bother with crab pattern?
    Regards
    Craig

4. Default

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hmmm yes...good point, but Larkies has also been known to blow hot and cold, like any still water can do. Not too long ago, the guys were moaning, "where the fish?" so, when its quiet, maybe a more crab oriented approach can add anothe arrow in the quiver
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Andre
    Bob mentioned that stable dam levels mean bigger crab populations.
    If you are chucking wooly buggers and catching crab eating fish, why bother with crab pattern?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.