Thread: Mozambique Exploring TR

Default Mozambique Exploring TR

Over the past couple of months, I did several exploratory trips to Mozambique, mainly in search of Tiger fish, but I got some time in the salt as well. As most of my travels were far from the regular tourist destinations in Mozambique, I did not expect to enjoy the salt fishing all that much, but was pleasantly surprised with some of the days spent in between hunting tigers. Here's a couple of pics from the trips.

As most of you know, Mozambique has a rich history and the buildings has an interesting story to tell. Some like this old hotel must have been spectacular in the hey days when the country was still under Portuguese rule.

The wind sometimes get to you, but the place still seems to have it's appeal, even when fishing is not an option.

One thing you can be sure of when up there is good seafood, I ate like a king, no matter where I travelled.

I fished river mouths and offshore, and some beaches, all with variable levels of success.

I sometimes had some worrying moments with tides coming in and no help nearby.

Other times I relaxed and just took it all in.

One constant thing was that the fish were hard on flies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chrisvd; 14-06-13 at 11:37 AM.

You sometimes get surprizes, like these two guys that showed up at a reef 28km into the Indian ocean, equipped, with a dugout, paddles, a make shift sail and lots of guts.

You sometimes get rewarded with great fishing.

Other times you need to revert to other methods than the fly for some success

And sometimes your only reward is the great local brews.

Mozam remains a brilliant place to visit and at times the fishing can be exceptional.

Looks like you had a great time Chris, what about tigers, did you fish any lesser known rivers or parts of the bottom Zambezi?
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Quote Originally Posted by sybie99 View Post
    Looks like you had a great time Chris, what about tigers, did you fish any lesser known rivers or parts of the bottom Zambezi?
    Sybie, yes and yes. Some of the smaller lessor or to a certain extent unknown rivers fished surprisingly well. As for the lowest part of the Zambezi, lets just say, were still figuring out the code to consistency, but some days were spectacular to say the least.

great post, looks fantastic ... get any decent tigers?
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    great post, looks fantastic ... get any decent tigers?
    Jip, some nice tigers, but that would be for another thread or our blog. But there were a couple landed with double figures.

Lovely trip, green with envy.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

that reel in the sand would drive me nuts. Nice pics though.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Thanks Brian, Korrie

Yeah, the reel in the sand..., my tackle takes shots, it's just how it is, I do look after them well though during fishing and when cleaning and storing them, so most of it tends to last quite long.

I know you do, was just kidding. Inspiring photo's, I must do a Moz trip soon and get my hand and both of them on those prawns, they are huge.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"