Thread: Dullstroom this past weekend

Default Dullstroom this past weekend

Hey all

Did anyone hit Dullstroom and surrounds this last weekend? I was at Highland Giants (at the Stables). Nice spot and water looked decent. However, out of 3 experienced fisherman, we managed but 2.5 fish. I say 2.5 because I caught the same fish twice! I know because it had a peculiar "bent" body and the dorsal fin had a distinctive tear shape which I recognized. Just shows how "spooked" a rainbow trout is by being caught.

The owner said apparently very few fish were caught. I wondered if this was true. Anyone else have any luck?

We found it hard going.

Well I was at Elandskloof this past weekend and the fishing was also not as great as it used to be at dam 13. But yet again i must admit it was more a kuier weekend than a fly-fishing weekend with friends.

Fishing 50km's up the road from dullies was very, very good.

Are you sure that the venue's dams actually had fish (stocking issues all over dullies at the moment) and secondly that your tactics were appropriate for the time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Fishing 50km's up the road from dullies was very, very good.

Are you sure that the venue's dams actually had fish (stocking issues all over dullies at the moment) and secondly that your tactics were appropriate for the time of year?
    Where is the 50k's spot?

And of course, as a newbie, would love to know more about the winter tactics?

Incidentally, it was full moon this weekend, could they have been feeding at nights? Is this really a factor?

Blog Entries

I klapped it at Waterfall trout - They have just restocked and everything seems to be running again.

The fish should pick up good weight, and restore the broken dams.

J
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I klapped it at Waterfall trout - They have just restocked and everything seems to be running again.

The fish should pick up good weight, and restore the broken dams.

J
    Waterfall trout lodge between Badplaas and Carolina? I hope so, I really used to enjoy going there... Think the regulars pulled in there for a social too once upon a time

The spot I was at was Trout Hideaway between lydenburg and pilgrims rest, behind the orighstadt dam. The new owners have sorted out the issues that popped up in the last few years before the place was sold. Roads and signage are still useless though but that's not the end of the world. Stunning place, just a bastard to get too in terms of mpumalanga venues...

In terms of tactic winter is a good time to look for cruising trout near inlets or shallow areas of gravel. I find the fish don't take flies which are stripped nearly as positively as they do in summer. Other people so have success with aggressively stripping flies trying to solicit a l reaction/territorial type take so do t discount it.

My go to tactic is to suspend a team of nymphs and buzzers below an indicator. Smallest indicator you can get away with. Tippet in the 2x-4x range depending on the fish size and dam conditions. Dont forget big male trout have very sharp teeth. Flies must be fished at the depth the fish are cruising. Slow sinking flies work best as they often take on the drop. A bit of a breeze works wonders too as you want your flies to drift slowly. Keep low and watch that indicator!

If the water ain't very clear, there's a lot of chop or low light I'll use a small plain orange egg but I'm not a big fan.

Don't neglect fishing dries to rising trout, big dragons in areas that have ashnidae nymphs like kzn etc.