Thread: Best dry fly floatant?

Default Best dry fly floatant?

Been looking at getting some dry fly floatant.Too many options to choose from...
    Recommendations please?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Been looking at getting some dry fly floatant.Too many options to choose from...
    Recommendations please?
    As with anything else, everyone will have a favourite. I would buy the one your nearest shop stocks and use that as I haven't really found a bad floatant over the years. The following are all good in no particular order:

Loon Aquel
    Loon Royal Aquel
    Loon Lochsa
    Gink
    Frogs Fanny
    Petitjean CDC oil
    Dave's Bug Float
    Mucilin
    Shimazaki Dry Shake

You also get products to treat your fly after tying (need time to dry) like Watershed and Hydrostop. For CDC flies I would use Lochsa or CDC oil.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    As with anything else, everyone will have a favourite. I would buy the one your nearest shop stocks and use that as I haven't really found a bad floatant over the years. The following are all good in no particular order:

Loon Aquel
    Loon Royal Aquel
    Loon Lochsa
    Gink
    Frogs Fanny
    Petitjean CDC oil
    Dave's Bug Float
    Mucilin
    Shimazaki Dry Shake

You also get products to treat your fly after tying (need time to dry) like Watershed and Hydrostop. For CDC flies I would use Lochsa or CDC oil.
    Frogs Fanny??wtf...haha

Also there are flotants that work well with some materials, and other floatants that work welkl for other materials. No one floatant is going to be great for all flies. Also if you are tying your own flies, use hydrostop. You soak your flies in it when you tie them. Also, can be used on commercial flies. Just hydrostop all your flies (except flies with CDC) and you wont need to use floatant when you fish.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.