Thread: Still water trout - What weight rod is recommended?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Still water trout - What weight rod is recommended?

Hi Guys,

I have access to a nature reserve that has a few Dams that they stock with Rainbow Trout. It is near Dullstroom.

I will be fishing from the shore as float tubes / boats etc are not allowed. Most if the Dams are catch & release, but a few I can take a fish home

What weight rod would you recommend?

Here is an overview of the place:

And here are some pics of the various dams (most of them):

I noticed that the trout seem very shy, as I walked, if there was a trout in the shallower waters, as soon as I got close enough to see, they would quickly dash for deaper waters.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbuch View Post
    I noticed that the trout seem very shy, as I walked, if there was a trout in the shallower waters, as soon as I got close enough to see, they would quickly dash for deaper waters.
    9 to 10ft rod in 5 or 6 wt.
    From what I see & what you said, fishing multiple flies static (buzzers/small nymphs) under an indicator or using a floating line with a fluoro leader fishing slow figure 8 retrieve with the same flies should produce.
    Last edited by GGY; 24-06-13 at 10:27 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

A 5 to 6 weight should be fine, as it will cast longer distances easier. You will also be using floating to sinking line and these rod weights can cast these line at good distance to cover more water. My 2c
    Last edited by Pipe; 24-06-13 at 10:21 AM.

I wouldnt bother with a sinking line, the ponds dont look deep at all, perhaps 2 to 3 meters at the deepest....just guessing by the pictures. Best to experiment with rod weights. A 5 or 6 wt isnt going to cast any furter than a 3 or 4 wt, depending on the line used, but hey, my for this kind of fishing, an all rounder in the 5 or 6 wt class should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    A 5 to 6 weight should be fine, as it will cast loner distances easier. You will also be using floating to sinking line and these rod weights can cast these line at good distance to cover more water. My 2c
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post

9 to 10ft rod in 5 or 6 wt.
    From what I see & what you said, fishing multiple flies static (buzzers/small nymphs) under an indicator or using a floiating line with a fluoro leader fishing slow figure 8 retrieve with the same flies should produce.
    What does the extra length of a rod add? I have a 8 foot 6 inch 6 weight already and a 9 foot 7 weight
    Was just looking to see if I need to add an extra rod to my kit

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    A 5 to 6 weight should be fine, as it will cast loner distances easier. You will also be using floating to sinking line and these rod weights can cast these line at good distance to cover more water. My 2c
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I wouldnt bother with a sinking line, the ponds dont look deep at all, perhaps 2 to 3 meters at the deepest....just guessing by the pictures. Best to experiment with rod weights. A 5 or 6 wt isnt going to cast any furter than a 3 or 4 wt, depending on the line used, but hey, my for this kind of fishing, an all rounder in the 5 or 6 wt class should be fine.
    Yeah they not very deep, probly about 2 to 3 M.

A floating line and Intermediate line would be fine the, I have recently been fishing a 10 foot 6 weight. The added length helps a bit with line control when fishing a team of nymphs. All depends what flies and techniques you will be fishing

Waterkloof nature reserve? Been a while since I've been there so not sure if l'm right? Additionally, Wade was driving and we arrived at about 03:00...

The tactics mentioned will all stand you in good stead and a lighter rod will be fine as the fish aren't too big and the dams are pretty snag free. If the wind picks up as it does in that area you might wish you had a 5 or 6 though. A nice medium actioned 5 or 6 would be my choice.