Thread: Testing the float tube

Default Testing the float tube

morning all,

So I've got my grubby little paws on a float tube, and as expected, it needs testing. Dullstroom has always been my favourite haunt, but where is the best spot to test a float tube? Elandskloof? Any other suggestions would be great (anywhere around Jo'burg or Ptown).

I'll be on my onezy, so no family friendly / luxury requirements.

Thanks!

What do you need to test it for?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

for plain testing, Emmertia dam, Harties
    But if you want to "test it and catch fish" yes, then go a bit further.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

definitely want to test and fish. in fact if i'm honest, the testing piece is moot. Just an excuse to fish...

Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    morning all,

So I've got my grubby little paws on a float tube, and as expected, it needs testing. Dullstroom has always been my favourite haunt, but where is the best spot to test a float tube? Elandskloof? Any other suggestions would be great (anywhere around Jo'burg or Ptown).

I'll be on my onezy, so no family friendly / luxury requirements.

Thanks!
    The shallow end....:tongue: Sorry could not help my self

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    The shallow end....:tongue: Sorry could not help my self
    beautiful! unfortunately, being 5'8 everywhere is the deep end :-) I've decided on Elandskloof - correction all the other usual spots were full, so it was decided for me - (and a solid pair of thermal long johns) - will report back on Monday.

SO, tested, and broke the duck on the fist try. Nice 1.5kg hen, which was not bad for the fist time out on new kit.

Dullstroom in general: the fishing was tough, bigger fish, but fewer it seems like. It was cold and windy on Saturday, so the morning at Elandskloof was unproductive, with just one take (and loss) on a small Golden bunny ear (GRHE). I went to Laverpa for a spot of bank fishing and as the day heated up so did the fish. No sign of water life and a windy day had me fishing dry terrestrial patterns. Caught a nice cock fish on a hopper pattern (buggered if I know the name) and two more on a black DDD (or as I call it Mr Sutcliffe's greatest gift to humanity). The largest one just under 2kgs.

Back in the late pm on the float tube at Elandskloof I managed to land one on the tube. it was about 5pm and I was paddling back to the bank when I notice 3 or 4 trout near the leeward bank - the edge that had seen wind the whole day and all the insects blown into the water were now floating along this bank. whatever the trout were eating was dark and small, so i picked a 5x tippet and a size 20 Griffits Gnat. Nice strong take on the second cast ended up in the 1.5kg hen mentioned first. Few more casts with the same fly had no result so I called it a day. Sunday was calmer and warmer. I had to duck early but driving past the dams the guys were catching many fish.

I have one lesson: Do not take off the fins while in ankle deep water. A muddy sleeve proves the point. Works with scuba diving, not with trout fishing.

I have a question, and I'm not sure if anyone else has found this. maybe a new thread is required?? Anyhow. Whenever I have a take on a dry i never seem to get another fish on the same fly. for example the black DDD had a few missed takes with trout rising to it but not taking, until I landed one, then all movement to it stopped. I changed to another black DDD and low and behold the interest started again. Same thing happened with the griffits. any clues? Would the fly sit differently after a take? this just for my own interest, as I will from now on change to a new fly of the same type and size once a fish has taken the first.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Cheers

It all depends on now the fly sit in the water.
    Other days, they will want a fly that sits a bit deeper, in the surface film.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Great stuff, I was also near Dullies this weekend. Landed 1 Sat morning & nothing the rest of the weekend