Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: far & fine

I don’t believe the distance is the issue, I was showing a few guys a trick or 2 just above the water fall on the way to the "honeymoon huisie", we had already taken a fish or 2 from the pool and I started showing them a roll cast, a side cast, wiggle cast and then a double haul. Maybe my timing was just on that day, but I had all 22m of the quite double taper out with 2 false casts. Then I realized what I was doing, I did it in a single switch cast. 22m meters of fly line and a bout 1 meter of backing out of twin, and I presented it perfectly...

I have said it somewhere else… I never thought it was important to throw a full line, but since I have taught myself, I believe my fishing has improved hand over fist. It just gives you so many more options, improves you timing and teaches you how your rod will work at long range. I am not a distance caster and enough about my casting.

I presume this is a brown trout stream, it is a 22’ brownie, I’m casting to??

If so, here is my plan of attach.

1. Light a smoke and take a deep swig from the hip flask, I always find that this just makes the rising fish prettier.
    2. Take the policeman from the back of the pool, every brown trout pool has one, some times 2, and release it down stream.
    3. Fish the likely lies within the 7 to 12 meter range. Keep it simple and no false casting.
    4. Set yourself up, put out a cast 14 meters up and off to the side, pick it up and put it down off to one side of the fish, with a left or right hinge on the leader.
    5. If you have been watching properly, you will know when to expect the take, and with the amount of line out, there will definitely be a delay on setting the hook., so strike on the take.
    6. Rest the pool for 10 minutes and start at step one again. It is a brown trout stream, you are going to miss it 9 out of 10 times.
    7. Repeat step one as often as needed, if not more often.

Some times it’s not about the fish, it’s a brown trout stream, enjoy the scenery.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I reckon stealth, stealth, and when you've finished with that lot, more STEALTH! (No, this isn't necessarily a freebie ad for Dave Levene...). When I was younger (Aaaaahh! I hear you cry) if I spotted a decent fish on a smallish overgrown stream, I'd far too hurriedly try and cast to it, as best possible, from where I was placed, or within a minute or two therefrom in a 'better' position. These days I'll creep round low like a chameleon on Valium. It may take 10 minutes to get into the best, closest, safest position, but the success rate is immeasurably greater. The trouble is, so my team mates tell me, I've successfully transferred these skills to my midfield dynamo role in my social soccer side.

[QUOTE=chris williams;25050 These days I'll creep round low like a chameleon on Valium. It may take 10 minutes to get into the best, closest, safest position, but the success rate is immeasurably greater. The trouble is, so my team mates tell me, I've successfully transferred these skills to my midfield dynamo role in my social soccer side.[/QUOTE]

giggles
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

[QUOTE=MaXiMuM;25047
    1. Light a smoke and take a deep swig from the hip flask, I always find that this just makes the rising fish prettier.
    QUOTE]

I fully agree!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

And when I took up flyfishing the guy said : "No, we're not ALL a bunch of nicotine anaesthetised alcohol addled old fogeys"

hehe...I think we should do a poll sometime

Pointless to do a poll when we all know the answer!!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10