Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Two rods on a float tube...

Neeeh...dont think theres any ethical issue with it. My question is ... how do you manage to cast without smacking the other rod?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
    i do this as well, but frankly was scared to admit it on here
    not sure about the ethics behind it, so i didnt want people to jump down my throat.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

What does ethics have to do with it, it's like Fly fishermen trying to tell baities they can't catch Yellowfish on mieliepips in the Vaal dam. Or catching trout on art lure gear at a venue that allows it, or catching trout on only two flies because someone somewhere told you that is the rule as opposed to fishing up to 5 flies (which I have done at times, in desperation)

For my money : Two rods pre-rigged, for different applications (floating and sinker) is best, the chances of you dropping a spool or a reel by accident while struggling with a rod and cold fingers is much greater than dropping a rod. As for the rigged up spare rod, carabiner or s-biner on a lanyard/strap/velcro fixes that problem easily enough.

Only comment I have about the static line hanging below the boat, make sure you have that rod/line hooked onto something that will require manual intervention to get loose, a mate recently lost a full 8WT G-Loomis/Shilton/line combo to a Tigerfish because he was lazy. That really hurts.
    Last edited by Scythe; 23-07-13 at 11:25 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Neeeh...dont think theres any ethical issue with it. My question is ... how do you manage to cast without smacking the other rod?????
    im fishing mavela (nffc) water on sunday. will take a few pics and post.
    dont have a problem with smacking the other rod.
    the only problem i had was drifting over the static line, and it got entangled in the backstrap connections under the tube.
    #$@%!!! had to actually paddle to the side to untangle.

I used to use the velcro strips on the side of my tube to hold my spare rod. With the tip pointing backwards its easy to damage if you forget about it when kicking back to shore. I have now used the Caddis rod holders for a couple of years with good success.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/83/10081483.jpg
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    I used to use the velcro strips on the side of my tube to hold my spare rod. With the tip pointing backwards its easy to damage if you forget about it when kicking back to shore. I have now used the Caddis rod holders for a couple of years with good success.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/83/10081483.jpg
    +1 for this solution, just modified it so that the rod can sit at a 45 degree angle backwards rather than only on rght angles.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

the way i fish with two rods. because i cast right handed, i set the rod holder on the left. it swivels, so i can always swivel it out if it gets in the way. it also adjusts up and down, so i adjust it where the rod tip just touches the water.
    sorry for the quality of the pics, but i was fishing on my own, so it was difficult to get a decent angle, but im sure you get the idea.
    058.jpg
    catch and release

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3