Thread: How do you keep your flies?

Blog Entries

Default How do you keep your flies?

Morning Gents,

Thought it may be intresting to find out how each of you keep your saltwater flies out on the water?

I have a few Xplorer ABS plastic boxes for Charlies, Crabs and Clousers. Then my bigger Baitfish and deepsea flies are in a leader bag with A5 sized plastic pockets with a few similar flies in a pocket, it takes minimal space in a backpack which is what I was after.

I want to try build a fly box simliar to the Cliff Outdoor boxes with a slit cut yoga mat and a plastic box, will see how it works out in future. R500 for a fly box is a bit much for the original

What do you use?

Cheers,

Konrad
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

The electric power tools (bigger models) comes in lovely plastic boxes, as the Cliff outdoor, boxes. stick some yoga mat in, and you have the lovely box.
    Another great idea, which I saw, MC does, is to take these vacuum sealer machines.
    He seals all the flies individually in a plastic pocket. So the exposure to salt, humidity etc is zero, these individual packets are then placed into a larger container. ZERO RUST. the only flies that are exposed, are the ones that you have opened and fished with. If you get good at it, you can do strips of flies, individually sealed in a packet. A little more work, but a hell of lat better than having to retie 50 rusted flies, in one big box.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

I also know of someone that idividually seals their flies and it does seem like a good idea, even better if you fish internationally incase customs are full of stories? But my concern with sealing flies is the effect it has on the flies themselves, will it not cause the feathers and fibres to get "memory"?

I like the power tool box idea, I was considering using soem of those clear boxes with dividers that they sell at conventional tackel shops or hobby shops.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za