Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tails of Frustration

Default Tails of Frustration

Chasing grunter has become an obsession for some. They're hard to catch on fly in any conditions but when in skinny, crystal clear water they become damn near impossible. Here are a couple of pics from a few days in the Southern Cape that are guaranteed to get you frothing!

Fly_fishing_southern_cape-26.jpgFly_fishing_southern_cape-32.jpgFly_fishing_southern_cape-44.jpgFly_fishing_southern_cape-46.jpg

The rest of the photos are at Tails of Frustrations
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tell me about it. I was surrounded on a huge sand bank for 2 days with such a scene. A lot of follows but no takes. Give or take for 15 hours of casting over the 2 days.
    But I am already tying and making plans for when they are back and can only hope that I will have a photo with one this time.
    But the challenge is what makes it so exciting, the hope of a take the anticipation of that pull.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

if it helps

i met a guy recently who said he caught one on what looked liked a black woolie bugger

Default flies that in the eastern cape

Hi guys I know the sickening feeling your experiencing. These flies have helped me on many accousion to land a grunter I tie them myself and don't know the real names for them the red one I call the wool fly and the other is a gilcrestela imatation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your top fly has the coloration of a pink/ sand prawn and that's why it worked. I will give it a go.
    Thanks

Hi, interesting. I have also caught grunter on a small whitish surf candy kinda fly similar to the one above. Tried with a white zonker surf candy yesterday, but no luck. No luck on the pole dancer fly and even on artificiAl top lures! Perhaps I need to switch to a smaller baitfish imitation again - when the rain stops. It has been raining for a week and I am camping at, Swartvlei. Grunter are here thought, but not a single chase (yet) from a leerie! Thinking of trying of the rocks at Gerickes Point? Any ideas?

I heard tell that Mr Supfisher managed a 5.2kg grunter in the Southern Cape over December.

What about surface flies. Not too long ago, Craig Thommassen was catching grunter on a conventional popper. Wont this approach work, I suppose it will depend on the water depth etc.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

The guys in PE has had good success with the grunter on topwater lures, but it seems the south coast fish are slow. Ive tried at breede with no luck. A while ago we had good success at nyati in the lagoon also with small floating stickbaits. There I caught my 1st and only grunter on fly, but by accident. I was making a double handed retrieve to change flies and picked up a grunter like that!

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    Chasing grunter has become an obsession for some. They're hard to catch on fly in any conditions but when in skinny, crystal clear water they become damn near impossible. Here are a couple of pics from a few days in the Southern Cape that are guaranteed to get you frothing!

Fly_fishing_southern_cape-26.jpgFly_fishing_southern_cape-32.jpgFly_fishing_southern_cape-44.jpgFly_fishing_southern_cape-46.jpg

The rest of the photos are at Tails of Frustrations
    I finally landed not one but two Grunter in not even knee deep water, now I can sleep at night.Grunter2 sh.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast