Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flyfishing "explosion" On The Vaal

Default Flyfishing "explosion" On The Vaal

I was in our local tackle shop today and the owner (and fellow flyfisher) commented that in the past 3 days all he has been doing is selling and setting up new rigs to beginner flyfishermen. He estimates at least 15 rigs in that time. His comment was that it is not new fishermen but bait & spinner blokes who are now deciding that fly is the only way to go for yellows on the Vaal.
    Thankfully he is a staunch supporter of C&R and tries his best to get this through to everyone that he is dealing with.
    My request is that all the experienced fly guys on the Vaal waters keep a look out for the Vaal virgins, give advice where required and more importantly try and "educate" them about the spawning habitat.

PS Good luck to all involved in the A section nationals. Wish I had the leave available to just go and look and learn.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman, I witnessed this 2 weeks ago There were spawning fish everywhere, and these fella's proceeded to place themselves in the middle of the spawning beds. 90 % of the fish they caught were foul hooked.
    Last edited by dizzy; 27-10-06 at 09:33 AM.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    90 % of the fish they caught were foul hooked.
    I didn't know that Darryl had snuck up to the Vaal

Do blokes actually eat yellowfish. Why would you want to keep them?

Quote Originally Posted by dar View Post
    Actually, they are quite a boney fish.
    The um, (how do I say this in a politically correct way? Locals?) "locals" dry them out like they do with the barbel. Its almost like biltong. <*cringes*>Fish Biltong <*cringes*>.
    I dont of any sane people that keep fresh water fish for eating purposes anymore.

Um, on second thoughts, the fellas down in CPT, may just keep the ones the get with their dynamite and spinners
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dar View Post
    A few bait fishermen that I know keep everything that they catch, yellows and barbel They freeze them, head, gills, guts and all and then sell them @ R10.00 per fish ( irrespective of weight ) to the workers where they work They say it helps pay for their petrol to go fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    A few bait fishermen that I know keep everything that they catch, yellows and barbel They freeze them, head, gills, guts and all and then sell them @ R10.00 per fish ( irrespective of weight ) to the workers where they work They say it helps pay for their petrol to go fishing
    cheapskates!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    cheapskates!
    Some people are not as fortunate as other, that R10 could be feeding a child.
    To paint lines on a silver stretch of stream, is to be humbled by nature and to be closer to thy maker.

Thumbs down here is my 10 sent - or should I say R10

Although I understand about all the starving families you refer to I seriously doubt that this is the case with the mentioned “cheapskates” by Chris. I know a conventional fisherman (very successful one I might add, even managed to be selected for the Protea team one year) who absolutely live by this rule – ESPECIALLY when going down to the coast. He always says “how else should I pay for the holiday”. What he does is buy daily fishing licenses for his wife, kids and sometimes parents who do not fish and then bag all the caught fish under “their” licenses; he then sticks them into a freezer and sell them to who ever when he returns from his yearly trip. This TOTALLY sucks. The people we refer to here isn’t so poor that they have to catch fish to survive – more like they aren’t satisfied of the feeling/experience received from fishing or the mere fact to just get into nature and enjoy the day like the rest of us. They feel like the “fish” owes them something in return for all the money they have to spend to enjoy our favorite pass time. Absolute shocker was this morning when walking along the Moreletta Spruit next to my house I came across a guy who as me, stopped to check the water every now and again; when chatting to him I asked if he ever fished the Moreletta before and he said no – but a guy that works with him fishes it almost every morning before work cause he sells the fish at the office to the workers there. Yet again – didn’t sound like (judging from the guy I met) that any one of them is in desperate need of extra cash to feed their starving children. In naturally stocked waters I am totally against killing caught fish – especially if the people dong the catching is recreational fisherman who do not eat the fish themselves – absolute worst I heard of is guys catching, killing and then leaving the dead fish on that bank to rot (at the Vaal river of all places). The water systems have enough trouble due to human error, laziness and “ale gate budget” factors to sustain a healthy environment for the fish species without the likes of US to contribute to fish killings. I do agree with Herman that it IS all of our responsibilities to educate the fellow fisherman the best we can. If we aren’t going to who is? Face it – not all fishermen has access to the widely written media like most of us to be “aware” of the dilemma our fish species (indigenous and foreign) are in. Where else are they going to get the information, and as human nature is – if you know someone is watching you when doing wrong you tend to try and not do it – so next time fishing the Vaal and there are virgins wading on spawning beds or casting to spawning fish walk up to them and politely explain to them the error of their ways. The sooner they get educated the less harm gets done and if nothing else – human nature should stop them from “misbehaving” as long as you are in their eye sight – you might just have saved the last embryos of a fish species…

I know of guys who do this aswell and it really irritates me. I joined a party of guys on a trip to Henties once and these guys, unbeknown to me, took up more than 1000 white muscle in a body bag to sell to the locals up there in order cover the cost of their trip. These same guys nearly threw their toys out of the cot when I suggested releasing a 16kg Steenbras, saying that the fish was worth R250. Needless to say, I refused the next invitation to join them.

On my last trip, my mate and I released all our fish that weighed more than 10kg. These could have easily covered the cost of our trip and we would have had change to spare, but we never succumbed to the temptation. I gladly pay my dues for the privilege to fish. It is not a right, it is a privilege! I say it again, anyone on here who fishes to stock their chest feezers for monetary gain are cheapskates and I for one do not want to be associated with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast