Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flyfishing "explosion" On The Vaal

Gogga Banned User

C&R is a funny thing,

When I was growing up I went fishing, first with my Grandfather - a spinning rod - float and a worm saw me hooking Kurper by the barrow load full, Catch and release wasn't heard off in those days - but what he taught me was - You may only keep one in five fish - so choose wisely which one you konk. Never found out what the one in five rule was about - he had passed on by the time I was old enough and needed to know.

My farther on the other hand had stretched it to one in seven, again I never got to the bottom of it either.

Now I live in BC - All the Salmon I catch and release are all going to die anyway - but my logic is - if I kill one healthy hen, I deprive the river system of her offspring and in so doing I deny my kids the opportunity of fishing as I have.

So my rule for my kids is now 1 in 10 and it has to be bright silver (newly sea run fish). I guess it will be interesting to see what they teach their kids one day.............................
    Last edited by Gogga; 29-10-06 at 07:12 PM.

Yeah Mike, I guess that C&R ensures that you have minimum effect on the ecosystem. But I have always thought of salmon slightly differently.

In Alaska they have absolutely enormous runs. They use hand-held scoop nets to catch salmon in some glacial silted waters where the visibility is near zero, that gives an indication of abundance. Just wade out and drag a net until a fish swims into it! The salmon spawn in their thousands, destroying each other's redds and exposing the eggs to predation. There is just so much waste and redundancy. In these circumstances I'd have no problem taking my limit. But I suspect in BC it is different? In the South Island of NZ they have runs of Chinook in some of the rivers but the runs are tiny and are hatchery supplemented.

In my earlier kloofing expedition days with my dad, we mostly overnighted on the stream and my dad would impose a cut off time for C&R. We would C&R until the last hour before sunset, and in that last hour we would bag a trout each for our supper, the result of which was that we always had the freshest of fresh fish for dinner. These were the only trout we ever killed.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12