Thread: where to find the most illegal of quaries - wild troot

Default where to find the most illegal of quaries - wild troot

So the resent developments of trout's reputation notwithstanding...I'm looking at doing a bit of a camping / fishing trip in October - November. My idea is to take two weeks and explore the KZN mountain parks and from there pursue some river fishing for wild troot.

Have never done anything remotely like this (except if you count lake naverone), so would really appreciate any pointers, experiences, no-no and yes-yes suggestions.

Before anyone asks, the reason for the parks is that they have the best (and that time of year quietest) 4x4 type camp sites - I'll be doing the offroad thing too.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jan-Hendrik

Bushmans river is a must,
    Underberg, Umzimkulu river is very good.
    Upper Mooi is good
    Cant help much more
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Injisuthi river and camp site. Nice river, and some nice off-road as well.

There are a couple of lovely still waters, that allows day visitors.
    Worth to visit them as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Upper Bushman's River at Giants Castle. Loteni. Many others high up in the "Berg". Ask the guys at the Wildfly shop in Nottingham Road to point you in the right direction.

There is a lovely still water, before Upper Bushmans.
    Think it is called Highmoor, superb fishing, worth the 15 minutes walk to the water from the office/gate. Parks board dam
    Korrie Broos

What about a trip up Sani. The drive up there is great and the Sani river which is about 10mins from the lodge up there has quite a few wild trout. The back packers up there is quite affordable otherwise there are campsites as well. Might be worth driving up there for a night or two and fish the river. I have also heard good things about Highmoor.

http://www.sanimountain.co.za/ Check out the Sani mountain lodge website for rates (I think you can book online too)
    Highmoor number - 033 2677240

Also check out Underberg Himeville Trout Fishing Club (http://www.uhtfc.co.za/) they have quite a few remote still waters and access to a lot of the rivers in this area. Might be cheaper just joining the club for the year to get access to all the waters for your trip.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Henry David Thoreau

Thanks gents, some great info.

Using the suggestions and what I found on the interwebs, looks like: Lotheni, Highmoor, Sani / Injisuthi (depending if I find the time to get my little guy of 2years old a passport before) and then finish in giants castle is the way to go. 4 days in each...I'm salivating already.

another question, in terms of kit - a 5weight for the still waters with floating and sinking rigs, and then a floating 3wt set-up for the rivers? or should one go with something else.
    Last edited by JHH; 30-07-13 at 08:50 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    (depending if I find the time to get my little guy of 2years old a passport before)
    Temp passport takes no time at all. All you need for Lesotho for him. Cheap too.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    Thanks gents, some great info.

Using the suggestions and what I found on the interwebs, looks like: Lotheni, Highmoor, Sani / Injisuthi (depending if I find the time to get my little guy of 2years old a passport before) and then finish in giants castle is the way to go. 4 days in each...I'm salivating already.

another question, in terms of kit - a 5weight for the still waters with floating and sinking rigs, and then a floating 3wt set-up for the rivers? or should one go with something else.
    Nope those rigs are perfect!

Sounds like an amazing trip, something I wish to do someday.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho