Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Articulated Fish spine

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Chris Bladen showed some something like this on Sunday - it looks amazing in the water!!!! He made all the joints himself from steel.
    We shot some underwater footage of Chris's fly with his Gopro, looked very cool! He used Gerrit's "Lang Arm" so at least I didn't need to get my hands wet!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    We shot some underwater footage of Chris's fly with his Gopro, looked very cool! He used Gerrit's "Lang Arm" so at least I didn't need to get my hands wet!
    Hehehehe, that's my excuse for not catching any fish - did not want to get my hands wet :-/
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Here is a SBS, but with a stinger hook at the back and using a EP brush.

I want to add that after getting my hands on the pre-sorted shanks for these flies, I noticed they are made of a lesser gauge stainless wire than the normal articulated shanks. So maybe not the best idea to use a stinger hook at the back if there are BIG fish about.
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 08-08-13 at 08:30 AM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I once was blind, but now I can see.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Great video, the movement of this fly is just great. I think it is time to try a articulated pattern that will make the Leervis go mad.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

So I tried this fly with Frizz Fiber and I must say the shape is getting there, my only problem is the fact that when the fly is wet you can see the joints. I should maybe not have used Chartreuse thread, but lesson learnt. :tongue:

untitled-2.jpg
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Hi Ko1Ad, any progress with your attempts at these flies? They look pretty awesome and was wondering what you have managed to produce?

Thanks.

David.

Fished a home-made articulated fly two weeks ago. Great action underwater and loads of hits. However, after 3 hours of trying, I managed to land zero fish. Short striking seemed to be the order of the day probably due to fly length. Fly was badly mangled and will have to add a stinger hook to improve the hookup rate. I made the articulated spine from paper clips.

Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 14-12-13 at 01:10 PM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Just a heads up, Blane doesn't use the Hareline body wrap, he uses CCT fur. I tried forever with that hareline stuff before someone on SOL told me. Huge difference.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3