Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Stiffest flyrods

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Wow ! I wonder what that 16WT feels like in hand.
    It goes up to #18, but I see on the shop side of the site they have a #20!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pretoria Gangsters Paradise
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    It goes up to #18, but I see on the shop side of the site they have a #20!
    Look technology is an awesome thing and in general the pace of development accelerates in most facets of life (except for possibly household plumbing design, that still sucks ito maintenance and repair) but I must say the rate at which the innovation in rod design which has gone from only one or two brands with a 12WT in their arsenal 6 or 7 years ago to now being able to target truly staggering saltwater quarries genuinely amazes me.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

  3. #23

    Default

    I built a CTS Revo 14 wt. Great for fighting fish, loads of pulling power but not that stiff in the casting department - easily loads a 500gr line. My 12/13 Mega GLX is much stiffer :-)
    In Sey I cast my 8/9 Gloomis GLX mega vs a 9 wt Hardy Pro Axis and the 20 year old GLX mega is lighter, faster, more powerful and has more fish pulling power than the new Hardy... Once I swapped my GLX with the owner of the Hardy, it took some convincing to get it back off him ("just a few more casts....Please!" "There comes a permit - one more cast" etc) :-)
    I took 6 rods to sey and ended up fishing my trusty 8/9 most of the time. I have no fear about casting big streamers at GT's, presenting weighted crabs to Permit, Poppers to sharks, #6 Charleys to finnicky bones with it.
    Only problem is that they don't make them any more and they now go for collectors prices on Ebay...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I built a CTS Revo 14 wt. Great for fighting fish, loads of pulling power but not that stiff in the casting department - easily loads a 500gr line. My 12/13 Mega GLX is much stiffer :-)
    In Sey I cast my 8/9 Gloomis GLX mega vs a 9 wt Hardy Pro Axis and the 20 year old GLX mega is lighter, faster, more powerful and has more fish pulling power than the new Hardy... Once I swapped my GLX with the owner of the Hardy, it took some convincing to get it back off him ("just a few more casts....Please!" "There comes a permit - one more cast" etc) :-)
    I took 6 rods to sey and ended up fishing my trusty 8/9 most of the time. I have no fear about casting big streamers at GT's, presenting weighted crabs to Permit, Poppers to sharks, #6 Charleys to finnicky bones with it.
    Only problem is that they don't make them any more and they now go for collectors prices on Ebay...
    look at NFC Edge ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    John, Stiff, fast, unbreakable and good quality for money you can't beat the ELBE.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    633

    Default

    I am going to get shot down for this but: Horizon TRS 9ft 9wt. Broomsticks have the action of a split cane rod compared to that thing. I must say that it is quite light as well. The blank is quite thick if that bothers anyone particularly.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somerset West, Western Cape
    Posts
    191

    Default

    In my opinion, the Stealth Bomber wins hands down. Beast of a stick.
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pretoria Gangsters Paradise
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishlover1 View Post
    ... the Stealth Bomber wins hands down. Beast of a stick.
    I agree, very good rods, but they are too heavy, too limp and too unrefined compared to what you get in similar weights on "non premium rods" ... I loathe my 7WT Bomber ... I love my 7WT TiCr-X.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    look at NFC Edge ...
    Not much there for serious salt water applications... In fact I find the whole NFC thing a bit crap... Gary without Steve and Steve without Gary are both not as good as what they were together...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •