Thread: Rods

Default Rods

Hi Guys,

i know this question may have been asked a million times on the forum but i need help choosing a new rod. it will be used more for nypmhing at the Vaal.

i done some googling and seen the following...any advise?
    redington persuit
    wychwood truefly
    explorer classic 2

also whats the ideal wt for the Vaal, i use a 5/6 wt.

any other suggestions for a budget of +/- R1500

thnx

Get a 10ft 5 or 6wt rod - find one that fits your budget, but don't settle for a shorter 9ft unless you absolutely have to.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...light=evaluate

Try this for starters. If you have questions for clarification, feel free to ask.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

thanx Andre.

For a beginner, would you suggest a fast action rod or medium action rod to be better?

What is the question?....are you talking about casting, or fishing?
    If its casting, then be aware that a slower or medium rod is easier to cast generally. Fast rods tend to me less forgiving, although a fast rod might be better when fishing into wind.
    For fishing, a softer rod might be more responsive and easier to detect subtle bites.
    It again comes back to the fishing application. Dont make the mistake of buying a rod simply because it casts nicely. Remember that casting is only the mechanism to deliver the fly. once the cast is done, and the fly has landed....the fishing starts, so buy a fishing rod, not a casting rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by banker View Post
    thanx Andre.

For a beginner, would you suggest a fast action rod or medium action rod to be better?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.