Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice please: Orange River-1st fly fishing trip

Hi!...yes, I am doing the trip with them. Thanks for your input, it will definitely help me.
    Cheers
    Sean

Hi Andre!

I am a complete novice!

I am going with more experienced guys...which will help, but I don't want to be a complete ass on the trip!

I have no experience of fishing on the Orange....and have never attempted to catch a Yellow before. I have almost zero experience in nymph fishing (I believe that this is what the guys will be using as a fishing method on the trip).

I guess, also, that my rod is completely wrong for the terrain and fish I will be up against!

I have no experience in the "rig" to set up and what flies will be the best to stand a chance and catch a fish!!!

Any ideas?

This is a very good starter guide I used just about a year ago http://www.yellowfish.co.za/index.ph...lowfish-on-fly when I restarted fly fishing after more than a 10 year break. If you read that and go fish with a couple of more experienced guys you will get the hang very quickly. If you start out you cant go wrong with the simple new zealand rig showed in that article, its simple and super effective. The flies shown on that site too works well (some other articles on there have more details).

IMHO I think you can use nearly any 8 - 10 ft fly rod with a line weight between 3 and 8 and any brand floating fly line for a start since you wont cast long distances - in time you will find out what you like.

Hi Sean.

We are also going up there in Sep. to catch some yellows.
    Will email you some info that helped me with my first trip up there.
    It has all the rig set-up's including flies and lots more.

regards
    Brad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12