Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice please: Orange River-1st fly fishing trip

Thumbs up Advice please: Orange River-1st fly fishing trip

Hi,

I have signed up to do a trip with some experiened fly fishing chaps along the Orange River in September for a few days. I am really excited at the opportunity and I am sure I will learn a lot from the tour group.

As this is my first such trip andthe first time I will ever try and fish for Yellows, I need help. More importantly, I need help with the following:

1) the type of fly rod I should be taking with me. What size and what weight (and why is the weight and size you recommend so important);

2) dry fly or nymphing?
    3) the line set-up...how best to fish the Orange...single fly or group of flies

4) the best flies to use for fishing Yellows on the Orange.

many thanks for any help and guidance.

Regards

Sean

Hi Sean, where on the orange will you be going?
    Have you ever targetted and caught yellowfish before?
    What rod do you have currently?

Lets get to know your experience level, and a few things about your fishing, and lets see if we can help. There is alot of information on the site, but if it is your first time, lets keep it somple. September ois a good time for yellows on the Orange, and if you do a few basics right, you should get lots of fish.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Which section of the Orange ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hi Sean

If you are going with Tim and Craig you are in good hands.

I know the sections you are going to fish. Lots of fish not that many big ones.

I would suggest a 5 weight 9"/10" rod with Floating line.

As you will be nymphing most of the time the extra length will help to get some reach and better drifts.
    As for weight you could get away with a lighter rod but, then if you get some larger fish you will be under gunned.

Line setup. I prefer straight mono leader. 4-8 pound floro carbon. As the water would be clear and low. I would fish 3 flies about 50-80 cm apart. Dry or emerger on top dropper, Beadhead nymph on second dropper and something heavy on point, to get you down.

As for flies search the forum there are a lot of great flies on the forum.

If you are fishing a guided trip then the guides should answer all of your questions, after all they are supposed to know what the story is, hence putting their services out there.

If the can't, won't or dodge your questions then ditch them and ask for your deposit back.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    If you are fishing a guided trip then the guides should answer all of your questions, after all they are supposed to know what the story is, hence putting their services out there.

If the can't, won't or dodge your questions then ditch them and ask for your deposit back.
    Nothing wrong with preparing ahead of the time Herman. Getting as much info possible from various sources is a good thing.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Nothing wrong with preparing ahead of the time Herman. Getting as much info possible from various sources is a good thing.
    Getting as much info as possible: good, getting no info from your guide: bad.
    Getting infections from various sources: very bad!

Ahh ok, thats where he's going......How is Tim by the way? anyone heard?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Hi Sean

If you are going with Tim and Craig you are in good hands.

I know the sections you are going to fish. Lots of fish not that many big ones.

I would suggest a 5 weight 9"/10" rod with Floating line.

As you will be nymphing most of the time the extra length will help to get some reach and better drifts.
    As for weight you could get away with a lighter rod but, then if you get some larger fish you will be under gunned.

Line setup. I prefer straight mono leader. 4-8 pound floro carbon. As the water would be clear and low. I would fish 3 flies about 50-80 cm apart. Dry or emerger on top dropper, Beadhead nymph on second dropper and something heavy on point, to get you down.

As for flies search the forum there are a lot of great flies on the forum.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Sean

Send me your e-mail address and I will send the info you need. Or you can ask the guide/operator your going with?

Cheers Chris

Thanks, Chris! My e-mail address is s.g.bosse@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast