Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Poor man's Fly Box

Wiets Banned User

Default The Poor man's Fly Box

The picture says it all. These are the older and thicker CD jewel cases - you can even remove the plastic insert that holds the CD in place. The latest very thin jewel cases will not work except for the thinnest of flies. Easy to stow, see flies at a glance and ideal for small flies or flies without barbell or hourglass type eyes. The cost of these jewel cases certainly beats those expensive Fly Boxes (although nicer) in the shops.

I store my leaders in them....
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Good thinking, another useful tip is to try storing CD's in them, they almost fit exactly

morning
    all three are good ideas. i like the leader idea.
    nice
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I just stored my CZN home-tied leaders in a couple of CD cases and it works a treat - before I stored them simply in plastic zip-locks and they were always getting kinked etc.

Good idea guys, now where do I put Rob Zombie, Rammstein and Gustav Mahler? No, not there, but thanks Werner...maybe Wiets can design a CD case?

hahaha, very funny as always Chris!

Seriously though, do you really think that CD covers will make good fly boxes? Firstly, the size is damn awkward, certainly not good for pockets of any description, and secondly they crack if you just look at them too long, let alone stashed in a fishing bag, together with coffee flasks spare reels and what not. Would not work for me.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

For leaders having just tried it over the weekend it certainly seems OK but I'm a delicate type, I don't go throwing my CD cases out of the cot

have you ever thought of just leaving them in their packets until you need a fresh one?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    hahaha, very funny as always Chris!

Seriously though, do you really think that CD covers will make good fly boxes? Firstly, the size is damn awkward, certainly not good for pockets of any description, and secondly they crack if you just look at them too long, let alone stashed in a fishing bag, together with coffee flasks spare reels and what not. Would not work for me.
    I agree with Chris, considering that you can buy cheap (R5 - R20) multi-compartment flyboxes why on earth would you want to use a CD case ? Next time you are shopping, have a look in the conventional tackle section of your tackle shop - very cheap plastic flyboxes available. Another option is Plastics for Africa which also has a cheap range of multi-compartment boxes. On Saturday I saw Explorers new range or waterproof boxes - they look good and are well priced.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I pretty good fly box is an old video box, the similar style to the DVD case. You then jsut stick on some foam and it's done.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.