Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes update

Default Rhodes update

Just a word of warning for those heading out this way. The area is critical, and we need a lot of snow and soft, penetrating rain.

Taken on Saturday and Sunday

Loch Ness at Tiffendell

The confluence of the Bell, Sterkspruit and Kraai
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

looks like lesotho got some good snow over the weekend, seems like it just missed the barkley district?

---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

We got nothing ja.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

It is so sad seeing the rivers like that.
    You're welcome to some of our rain Mario!
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    It is so sad seeing the rivers like that.
    You're welcome to some of our rain Mario!
    Fedex??????
    Mario Geldenhuys

Mario, what actually happens to the fishing when the water is so low?

Obviously its very clear, which I suppose would make for skittish fish, but given more fish in less space, doesn't it mean more competition for food (and hence more bites)?

Also, with the crazy numbers of small fish in the system last season, will the low water not help thin that out a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Mario, what actually happens to the fishing when the water is so low?
    Nothing, you take your kids to the ski resort

Obviously its very clear, which I suppose would make for skittish fish, but given more fish in less space, doesn't it mean more competition for food (and hence more bites)?
    Keep in mind fish in winter are generally more lethargic, so there is not a lot of activity. Yes, they still eat, but not nearly as much as they would normally do. Fish are generally concentrated in areas with water, and are super spooky. You would do well to catch one fish in a pool filled with fish. After that, you'll be likely to not catch any more due to the disturbance caused.

Also, with the crazy numbers of small fish in the system last season, will the low water not help thin that out a bit?
    Not a bit, a lot. Problem is it also thins out the bigger fish. In low water conditions all fish become prey for otters and cormorants, and the big ones get klapped.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Does anyone know if the cold weather over the last few days brought any rain to Rhodes?
    If there isn't any soon, I'll land up fishing the lower Kraai in late September.

Does anyone know if the cold weather over the last few days brought any rain to Rhodes?
    If there isn't any soon, I'll land up fishing the lower Kraai in late September.
    Sorry, no rain or snow.
    Mario Geldenhuys

I hear its still dry and cold, but no change to the rivers. The Lower Kraai will probably be perfect in these conditions. However, you could be lucky and get some rain by the end of September. Not too much though, you don't want the rivers to run high and dirty. Im heading that way for Christmas and New year, and hoping that the Kraai is fishable.... want to get stuck into some yellows.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast