Thread: Flamingo bay and Massinga beach mozambique

Default Flamingo bay and Massinga beach mozambique

Hi Guys
    Was wondering if anybody had fished Flamingo beach or Massinga beach in Mozambique, Im traveling there next next year, and was wondering if any one had any info on fly fishing from the beach, I have had a look around and cant find to much info with regards to fly fishing, I know that there are Jacks and GT around, but not sure what the fishing is like from the beach, any info would be appreciated
    Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up

Hi,

A client of mine (non fisherman) was there year before last, and I was looking at last year also.

Flamingo bay is astounding, you will see lots of small estuarine fish around the stilts and other structure provided by the Lodge ... but you won't find big cruisers on the flats hunting them. I didn't look further to find out about the beaches and structure outside of the estuary, but if there are rocks/dropoffs/shelter for the baitfish ... you will be able to find predators (in as much as they havn't beeneradicated by the locals)

Masinga beach has some rocks/structure nearby (which may or may not be covered by sand depending on the ocean and her moods) ... but other than that the beach it is pretty boring in terms of fly fishing (structure ... baitfish ... food ... safety ... predators) but you will probably be able to hit into the smaller surf species like 3 Spot Pompano and so forth if you are willing to persist and work really hard.

Your best bet ito fishing would be to invest in a charter and if the skipper can understand the capabilities of your fly gear, you should be able to wing it, but mostly they cater to lure and bait fishermen and if there is more than one angler on the boat, you will battle to be able to use your fly gear ... still good fun to catch fish this way ... but not fly fishing.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thanks Scythe, I thought that would be the case, I received and email from the Flamingo lodge and the estuarine is a no fishing area, but i will give the river mouth a go and see what happens, I did look at a charter but like you said mainly bait and lure, but the thought of getting a GT on surface lure is great, I will try the beach at masinga and see what happens

Hi Trevor,

I was at Massinga last year. (Its owned by my cousin Les)
    About 1.4km north of the lodge is a series of rocky pinnacles that extend quite far out.
    They are largely exposed at low tide and there is a fair bit of activity. (Its called Fingers)
    I was there on honeymoon so fishing wasnt really the focus.
    We did charter an offshore trip but the weather turned south in a big way and we had to cancel.
    Les has told me though that the best spot for Kingies is just south of the lodge before the estuary mouth.
    All in all its really a superb place and really a nice setup!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Im going there for my Honeymoon, the Mrs to be sold it to me by saying i could fish but not every day, really looking forward to it thanks for the info, is the estuary mouth with in walking distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor28 View Post
    Im going there for my Honeymoon, the Mrs to be sold it to me by saying i could fish but not every day, really looking forward to it thanks for the info, is the estuary mouth with in walking distance?
    Hi Trevor,

You'll have a blast! They really look after you, and the whole experience is superb.
    Its quite a walk but is certainly doable. You can also arrange for drop offs with the lodge.
    But I'd seriously reccomend getting hold of Les and getting the run down from him.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Thanks Markdej, I really looking forward to it

Hi Trevor
    I stayed at Flamingo bay for a week last October on honeymoon. The lodge had no problem with me fishing in the lagoon. i caught sand gernard ofter sand gernard on drop shot and fly in the lagoon from the challet deck (great fun). they all sit in the channel on the pushing and dropping tide. I didnt see anything else really worth catching in the lagoon, and i went looking! Its an encredible spot that and id highly recomend taking your mask and snorkel to swim under the challets.
    I'd agree that if you wanted to go for bigger species a charter would be your best bet. You need not look further than the locals on the beach either, those guys hawl in large game fish everyday.

i fished (drop shot) all the way along the beach towards the mouth of the lagoon with no luck whatso ever.

Hope you come right

Thanks, will wonder along the beach and see what happens