Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A week in SA

Default A week in SA

Hi all....my first post in this forum, although I've been in and around South Africa many times.

I have the opportunity to fly into Jo'berg for the last week in September while my wife visits a friend in CT, and I'm thinking of renting a car and going on a trout safari. I love narrow little streams in rolling countryside with brownies and bows, and a nice trout guest house to stay in. I don't want to spend the week torturing stockies in ponds, although I don't mind fishing the ponds a bit.

Can anyone recommend a good region to focus on? I think the Dullstroom region, while it is close to JB, is a bit flat and featureless for me, as I like to wander about and find cozy streams. I'm wondering about KZN or even in and around Lesotho....but I could use some ideas of venues (rivers, lodges, etc) that would have lots of possibilities.

Thanks in advance...

Dullstroom is convenient to Johannesburg (2hr drive more-or-less) and does have some nice streams, in particular i like Rivendell (Spekboom River) and Salpeterkrans (Klip River).

However, this is not "wild countryside", and rivers are likly to be very low.

If you prefer a more wild fishery the KZN drakensberg is definitely a better option. If i had a week free i would do the following:

2 days @Injisuthi (injisuthi river and cowls fork river in the reserve - rainbow trout)
    2 days @Giants Castle (bushmans river in the reserve - brown trout)
    2 days @riverside (mooi river on riverside & in kamberg nature reserve - brown trout)

It might also be an option to stay somewhere central (Nottingham road?) and just travel daily to fishing if you prefer that.

September the rivers will most likey still be low and the fishing pretty technical. If you search the forum for those rivers you will find a couple of threads that will give you an indication of weaher that is what you are looking for.

I guess Lesotho is also an option, but getting around is slow and the fishing variable ...
    Last edited by firephish; 26-08-13 at 11:01 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Hi Riverman. Very little in Joburg of what you are looking for. You might have to drive about 3 or 4 hours to find your streams. Dullstroom is predominantly a stockie pond venue, for the "brand slut" brigade, with all the newest and best gear, with very little knowledge of how to use it. No real wild streams there to speak of.
    The Drakensberg is great, and so is Lesotho, but for Lesotho, you are going to need a guide. Not a great idea to just roll up at the border post, looking for a stream. Unless you go for one of the few lodges around the place. Search the forum for info on Lesotho. Lots of nice rivers, and some really big trout. Drakensberg has some really good venues, with good accommodation if you are looking for place to stay. remember that end of September is school holidays, and therefore high season, so if you haven't booked already, chances are you might not find a place.
    Pity you can't come to the Cape. If you change your mind, there are lots of options, although the end of September still has a "high water risk" rainy season not quite over by then, and rivers could be full.
    Good luck.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Something completely different that you might consider if you are around joburg is to go for yellowfish. You should just about be able to catch them now in the vaal and in the smaller streams around gauteng the best time for small and large scales are approaching. That way you might spend more time fishing and less time traveling.

5. Default

Hi Riverman,
    All reports that I have heard re the KZN region is of low water conditions currently - so low that for the Junior Nationals slated for September they are looking at still waters if the rivers are still low, similar conditions prevail in the Eastern Cape re low water conditions. You might be best served heading to the Cape with your wife or as was also suggested , trying your hand at Yellowfishing on the Vaal and tribs as an alternative.

Join your wife in CT,
    You have lovely streams, in the Cape, with wild brown and rainbow trout, with bass etc as well.
    If I am available, I will take you onto the streams.
    At least, if you dont do some fishing, there is a lot of other sight seeing to do.
    If you do end up in the Cape, let me know
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

for accomodation, look at "sheltered vale". (google is your friend)... very nice accomodation, central to all the places firephish mentioned. if the rivers are too low to fish, you have some really lovely still waters to fish in the area.
    catch and release

Wow, thanks for the insightful responses. The water being low in KZN and around the Drakensburgs is definitely a bummer; thanks for pointing that out. I guess continuing on the CT is an option: where are the fishing waters around there? I used to head up into Franschhoek to fish some nice stocked ponds until the dam buried them, but other than that, I never knew where there was good trout water with reasonable access. I go to CT often, so it would be good to know where the streams are. I also fished the Vaal for yellowfish many years back with Ari Bert (a local personality), but I still prefer trout, if possible.

I'll do some research on the rivers/venues you guys mentioned.

Yes, you talking about Dewdale farm in Franschoek, under water now. The Cape has the best trout rivers in the country, unless you want to head to the Rhodes, Barkley area, but that's Dakensberg, and there is almost no water there either. The Cape rivers are very easily accessable, and you will have no shortage of fishing partners, but beware, as I said earlier, you could have the opposite problem to the Drakensberg...to much water. If the rain stays away, it will be good, but any more rain between now and end of September, the cape rivers will be in running high.
    Poor Ari...you heared what hapeened?
    Quote Originally Posted by riverman View Post
    Wow, thanks for the insightful responses. The water being low in KZN and around the Drakensburgs is definitely a bummer; thanks for pointing that out. I guess continuing on the CT is an option: where are the fishing waters around there? I used to head up into Franschhoek to fish some nice stocked ponds until the dam buried them, but other than that, I never knew where there was good trout water with reasonable access. I go to CT often, so it would be good to know where the streams are. I also fished the Vaal for yellowfish many years back with Ari Bert (a local personality), but I still prefer trout, if possible.

I'll do some research on the rivers/venues you guys mentioned.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes, Dewdale farms. What a sweet little venue...home of my 'biggest one that got away'. I'll share the story some other time.

And yeah, I knew Ari got in a horrible car wreck just as his show was making it big time, and last I heard his wife Gaelle couldn't bear the new lifestyle and left. Is there any news since then? Has he recovered at all...I knew there was some hope that he'd pick up a fly rod, but it seemed sort of a displaced set of priorities to me....when compared to relearning to talk and walk.

So would it be inappropriate to ask about the Cape rivers...which ones, where the beats are, etc? I once purchased a beat somewhere out of town, but could not get up that day to fish it, so I've never fished any wild streams in the Cape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast