Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A week in SA

No problem to ask. The Cape rivers are controlled and managed by "Cape nature Conservation", and the fishing is administered by the CPS, Cape Piscatorial Society. You need a fishing license and a fishing permit. The beats are booked with the CPS, and you go and fish. There are other rivers that are not run by the CPS, abut the good ones are not easy to find and access, unless you know exactly where to go. Fishing is strictly catch and release, and we have browns and rainbows. I would be happy to arrange things for you, like getting your permits and beat bookings done, and if I am here when you come, will take you. Im away for the week end of September in the Orange river region of the Richtersveld for a truly wild fishing experience, but as Korrie said, he would be happy to take you.
    Need help...Just ask. I will send you a PM of my email address and mobile number
    Quote Originally Posted by riverman View Post
    Yes, Dewdale farms. What a sweet little venue...home of my 'biggest one that got away'. I'll share the story some other time.

And yeah, I knew Ari got in a horrible car wreck just as his show was making it big time, and last I heard his wife Gaelle couldn't bear the new lifestyle and left. Is there any news since then? Has he recovered at all...I knew there was some hope that he'd pick up a fly rod, but it seemed sort of a displaced set of priorities to me....when compared to relearning to talk and walk.

So would it be inappropriate to ask about the Cape rivers...which ones, where the beats are, etc? I once purchased a beat somewhere out of town, but could not get up that day to fish it, so I've never fished any wild streams in the Cape.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

have a look at the CPS website
    www.piscator.co.za
    all the info you need.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Yes, Dewdale farms. What a sweet little venue...home of my 'biggest one that got away'. I'll share the story some other time.

And yeah, I knew Ari got in a horrible car wreck just as his show was making it big time, and last I heard his wife Gaelle couldn't bear the new lifestyle and left. Is there any news since then? Has he recovered at all...I knew there was some hope that he'd pick up a fly rod, but it seemed sort of a displaced set of priorities to me....when compared to relearning to talk and walk.

So would it be inappropriate to ask about the Cape rivers...which ones, where the beats are, etc? I once purchased a beat somewhere out of town, but could not get up that day to fish it, so I've never fished any wild streams in the Cape.
    Check out piscator.co.za. The CPS runs the Cape Town streams and you can purchase day tickets for the beats. You will also get many volunteers to take you out on the streams.

Sorry Korrie

Didnt see your post.

5. Default

Wow, thanks for the insightful responses. The water being low in KZN and around the Drakensburgs is definitely a bummer; thanks for pointing that out. I guess continuing on the CT is an option: where are the fishing waters around there? I used to head up into Franschhoek to fish some nice stocked ponds until the dam buried them, but other than that, I never knew where there was good trout water with reasonable access. I go to CT often, so it would be good to know where the streams are. I also fished the Vaal for yellowfish many years back with Ari Bert (a local personality), but I still prefer trout, if possible.

I'll do some research on the rivers/venues you guys mentioned.
    A good starting point is here http://www.piscator.co.za/firstpage.html for both the requisite permits to fish the Cape and also information on the beats available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12