Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fly tying- new flies, new ideas, What flies?

Korrie; Like you I dig into all sorts of books web sites and magazines in the on going quest to find good flies that work for me.

Like you I have found Agastino Roncallo's flies to be very innovative and well tied and presented.

To answer the questions you ask in your first post. I must say Yes I think I cover most of those situations. Fly tying and putting the fly to the test is out of this world and keeps the point of interest in focus. Your fly the "Take" and pure Bliss. Keep on having fun.

I'm a bit late in answering. But the Hack had me on the outer for some time. Glad to be back.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Jax
    All the modern books, websites and blogs are great, but a couple of years ago, I read almost every book about soft hackles and north country spiders I could lay my hands on. It was great. A lot of the books were very old, and the patterns even older.
    It was such a great inspiration to see the old patterns, the materials, and how to fish them.
    That was a great inspiration for tying and fishing some of the much older patterns.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

I get my inspiration from all over, this site, magazines, internet, other guys fly boxes etc, but most importantly I get most of my inspiration while fishing, observing nature. I tend to keep things simple, 3 or 4 materials at most, purely because I don't like to forget materials. We don't always have to 'invent' new flies, mostly the tried and tested ones (in various sizes) will do the trick. Just to ad, it is pointless 'inventing' new patterns all the time when anglers don't have confidence, in themselves as well as their patterns. So, I say before you go inventing new flies acquire the confidence needed to fish the ones in your fly box first.

Korrie I must agree that going back in time and looking at the Old Patterns can be great fun and very productive.

My Fly Tying Bible of over Fifty years ago, Was and still is today. A Courtney Williams' " A Dictionary of Trout Flies."

I have also found that the FAOL site has really good historical reference to Old American Style flies and is a good read.

I find that some of the so called Out of Date flies are still considered as "GOOD TUCKER" by the Modern Day trout.

I must admit I am rather Biased toward "Fishing The Dry" but am by no measure a "Purist." I just enjoy being out on the water playing whatever hand I get dealt for the day. Have Fun.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123