Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keurbooms and bitou

Hi all
    So here is a report back. I didn't get nearly as much time as I would have liked to fish as I was forever transporting annoying drunks all over the place. I have never fished the Bitou/Keurbooms before and so this was interesting as it gave me a chance to try and work it out for myself. Fishing below the confluence of the two rivers was not really convenient as my transport was a kayak, it was windy and more importantly I was 10km up from the mouth. This meant a flippen long paddle to do some fishing. I paddled on the first day down to the mouth and after seeing all of the flats and channels from the confluence of the two rivers to 1,5km above the N2 bridge (I am referring to the Bitou) I decided that fishing the upper sections would be more enjoyable, more convenient and easier to work out. Annoyingly I did very little leerie fishing as I found when I was below the N2 bridge that I had forgotten my fly reels at camp (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!). So I pumped some prawns and fished in the channels. Very soon I realised that this was futile as all you catch in the channels is small cape stumps and small steenbras. I did have some fun with these small fish at low tide at the confluence of the two rivers as the water was rushing out very fast. I basically czech nymphed a running sinker trace and had loads of fun ( small fish amuse bored minds). When the tide started pushing I made my way back up past the bridge to the white mansion above the bridge and spent time casting prawns at beast tailing grunter. It was exciting but all I got for my efforts was a small steenbras although bigger than the others I had caught. The next day (Sunday) I could not fish because I had had 7 hours of sleep since Friday morning. Transporting drunks was getting to me so I had to sleep and chill on the beach a bit. I did manage a small stumpie right at our camp in water too fresh for there to be prawns. I left it out for the night (forgot it would be a better way of putting it) and the next morning my line was in a completely different area and 30cm of my running sinker trace was bitten off. Way too far up for elf. Juvie Zambi? I did one more trip where I fished only from the white mansion to about 250m below the bridge. I fished with a fly fishing buddie and there was half an hour where we got chases and takes by leeries but none landed. My friend hooked a grunter on fly for a second or two after stalking it forever which was impressive and we caught loads more small fish. Just as I was at a stage where I could know where to go and what to do when we had to leave. My word the Bitou has potential. The number of grunter from the white mansion up are staggering. I have to go there again when I actually have some time to myself. Beautiful river and seriously worth another visit.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Thats a report back I did on another forum. The leeries seemed to like grey over white in the limited contact we had with them.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12