Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a helpful hand in the Cape?!

Default Looking for a helpful hand in the Cape?!

Dear All,

I have been fishing ever since I can remember; but only recently have I been able to give this art/science of flyfishing a go! Its exciting to be challenged while fishing in such a different way to the challenges I am used to!

I am currently a Masters student at the University of Cape Town and as a result I have some time this summer to get to learn the streams of the Cape. I am a recent member of the Cape Piscatorial Society, and am simply looking for someone to help me learn the streams and possibly help me with basic casting (when I am doing something seriously wrong!). I have a lovely new rod set on a vintage reel; I have been working on my roll and basic pick-up casting, and I am super keen to see if I can catch some trout in the Cape streams!

I live in Cape Town and will be happy to pay for petrol out to the beats so long as I can learn from someone who is willing and able to teach me a few tricks of the trade. I am not able to fish on Wednesdays, but any other day of the week I am completely free and would love to get a lot of fishing done this summer. Hopefully I can progress quickly to a point where I can hold my own in a fishing group. Fishing alone is always not wonderful, and as I have been told - the best way to learn the fastest is to fish with someone who A) knows what they are doing and B) knows the streams!

Any help, advice or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

James Leach

Hi James
    Why dont you join the WPFFA, it is the competitive side of fly fishing,
    We welcome all newbies, and you will learn so much.
    if you are interested, let me know'
    if not, no problem, we can still go and catch some fish.
    Korrie Broos
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

To be honest...its never crossed my mind! I am definitely keen to meet new people! But without having any experience (whatsoever!) of fishing with light tackle, small streams, and dry-flies I will likely be slightly out of my depth?!

Is that where I will likely find people to fish with who are willing to help a novice like myself?

Thanks for the help and advice!
    James

Also - how does one go about joining?! I can't seem to track down anything on Google?

Don't listen to Korrie. Join Boland! Quick before you go to WP and it's too late!

I would be happy to go for a day to the streams but I will only really be free in the december holidays what with matric finals and all that.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Look on Facebook for the Boland fly fishing group
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by James Leach View Post
    Also - how does one go about joining?! I can't seem to track down anything on Google?
    check your Private messages.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Corrie would you mind sending me the details of the WPFFA as well.

James, Good to know i'm not the only cape stream virgin in cape town
    Moved to ct about 3 months ago, really keen to go fishing but I'm so busy currently i won't have time for it until November
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Hi James/George,

A good way to meet prospective fishing partners is to attend the CPS talks and DVD evenings. The next one is this Thursday and includes a talk on saltwater flyfishing by Greg Clark as well as a DVD - Soulfish 2. It starts at around 18H30 and in-between talks and DVD's we drink a little bit of red wine and beer and pretend to talk about fishing.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hallooo

Yeah read about it on the streamx website.
    Sucks as i am in JHB til next week Wednesday

Any Idea when the next 1 is?

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi James/George,

A good way to meet prospective fishing partners is to attend the CPS talks and DVD evenings. The next one is this Thursday and includes a talk on saltwater flyfishing by Greg Clark as well as a DVD - Soulfish 2. It starts at around 18H30 and in-between talks and DVD's we drink a little bit of red wine and beer and pretend to talk about fishing.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast