Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half weight heavier lines for my rods?

Default Half weight heavier lines for my rods?

I have a T&T 4wt and an Orvis Hydros 4wt which are both fast.I like the feel of my rods loading and the standard 4wt lines just dont load these rods.I know the Sci Ang Gpx & Rio Grand lines are a half weight heavier.Apparantly the Rio Grand is no longer available.What other lines are "4.5" wt lines?Anyone know which of the Barrio lines are heavier?
    (5wt lines are just too heavy for my preference)

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    I have a T&T 4wt and an Orvis Hydros 4wt which are both fast.I like the feel of my rods loading and the standard 4wt lines just dont load these rods.I know the Sci Ang Gpx & Rio Grand lines are a half weight heavier.Apparantly the Rio Grand is no longer available.What other lines are "4.5" wt lines?Anyone know which of the Barrio lines are heavier?
    Hey this is the Barrio fly line they recommend for modern fly rods: http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-slx.html

I would also recommend that you email Michael Barrio, normally responds quite fast barrio@btinternet.com

They do load the rods, you just are unable to feel it. heavier lines will help you too feel the load, but why may I ask, if you don't like the rods, and are changing the action, did you buy them in the first place? This is always something I have wondered. Many people (for some obscure reason) buy rods that are too fast, and then struggle to cast them.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Rio Grand is available
    Regards
    Craig

SA MED
    Barrio SLX
    even Rio Gold
    I have all 3 of them and they are perfect for fast and stiff rods .
    In my humble opinion , nothing (yet) cannot beat SA MED line ( or I just get used on it ?)

Barroi lines are Rio...or Airflo, Im not sure which, its either the one or the other....More inclined to think they are Airflo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    SA MED
    Barrio SLX
    even Rio Gold
    I have all 3 of them and they are perfect for fast and stiff rods .
    In my humble opinion , nothing (yet) cannot beat SA MED line ( or I just get used on it ?)
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

If I remember correctly, the UK fly line manufacturers are (or were) Airflo and Shakespear. I think there was another at some stage but they might have merged with one of the others, or they all merged, because I think only Airflo is left. Barrio gets his lines from Airflo.

Hey Zoran
    What is the Sci Ang MED?

This is (for me) still the best fly line on the planet. Created by Bruce Richards from SA , now retired , that's why no any new , decent line from Sci Anglers up to date so far ...
    Originally it was XXD -distance casting line, then evolved to master expert distance casting line -MED .
    MED is more supple than XXD , better floating and longer head than XXD .
    Point is that it is not shining only in distance , but in roll and single spey casts due it unique taper and higher density .
    It can be considered as a kind of mutant DT line with forward bullet taper until first 16-18 meters ....

It still (un) official line in #5 weight distance competitions all around the Globe .

For me it is perfect line for fishing in the same time.
    Last edited by Zoran; 11-11-13 at 09:52 PM.

Zoran you have now put a spoke in the works for me.You said on another forum the barrio gt125 is good,now i feel i should get the MED??
    What do i do now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast