Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land based ff for yellowtail.

Smile Land based ff for yellowtail.

My next mission is yellowtail on fly and land based.
    On my first outing at Rooikrans I got one chase but it was by two fish.They must have been hugging the cliffs.They came up from the cliff at an angle both missing the fly ,one went straight down again the other one made a u turn before it went down.
    I climbed from where the cliffs started all the way to Rooikrans ledges.Rooikrans ledge looks like the only place where it is do able.All the other spots from where the cliffs start to Rooikrans ledge is riddled with kelp beds.Still need to climb the the cliffs from Rooikrans to the point.
    Had a go at Black Rock to day.It looks like a very do able spot.Had no action though.It is unbelievable the distance one can get on a elevated casting platform (cliff) with a open back cast.Will need to make a plan to get longer fly line.
    Have yellowtail been landed from shore on fly gear before in SA?There has been some people that have tried ,the locals informed me.Who are the FF that have tried , are they on Fly Talk?Some advice and opinions and secret place will be of good use.Think fly selection is well covered????
    What will make yellowtail a do able ff target, one fish a season for more than one season or more than one yellowtail for more than one seasons?Or is it more than one ff getting in to yellowtail for two consecutive seasons?

I HAVE YELLOW FEVER.

Hi Jimmmy

I think you are on the right track at Rooikrans.
    as for longer fly lines, I am not too sure about getting the heavier fly lines in longer models.

Look at shooting heads, probably the best option, with running line.
    You can use the braid, used for making braided loops, as running line as well.

PLUS PLENTY OF BACKING>
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If you can get this right even once it would be a serious achievement!

What lines are you using i.e. floating, sinking, intermediate, etc?

I know the Cortland Precision range do a number of lines for specific applications and many of these are a lot longer than a regular line. Also look at the Airflo 40+ lines designed for extreme distance casting.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Blog Entries

Big Jim returns! And with another challenge to push SA Saltwater Fly Fishing to the limits...

I unfortunately have nothing to add to this thread but will be following it with great anticipation and hope! Please keep us posted as things progress.

Best of luck!
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Hi there

A few people have managed this but the last time I heard a confirmed report was when Glen Brown caught Yellowtail off the reefs at Blakes way back in 1992 or thereabouts. In that same season I found them off the left hand side of Blakes one morning but all I managed was to get smashed. They were feeding heavily in the gullies and were mixed with big Elf and mid sized Leeries. Epic session!!!!!

Dolphin Rock on the Rooiels side is another good option in February and march.

Good luck.
    MC

Hey Jim, I think Korrie is on the money with the shooting head idea.

You could do a head with Rio T14 or T17, plus a running line attached. Take some spares too.
    Or you could go for an integrated head line - plenty options from the big brands. I'd be looking for one with an intermediate head plus running line that floats for this application - the floating running lines tend to be a bit thicker and easier to hang onto when needed.

I do sometimes use the braided running line (the old yellow Cortland one) on my boat but it's a bugger to manage in strong wind - it blows right out of the tangle tub. The heavy flat mono running lines are easier to manage. The coated running lines are nice to handle too.

I did a bit of conventional spinning at Rooikrans about 30 years ago - not sure if it's changed much - blind casting was not really productive, it was far better to wait and spot the pods of yellowtail coming before casting. If one guy hooks up the pod will often come with it for a while and other guys will then hook up as well. But the window of opportunity is usually VERY short.

I'm not saying don't blind cast at all - have a few shots every now and again to keep everything in tune and to check if they're not sitting under the washes near the ledge.
    I'm suggesting (for Rooikrans) to spend most time fully prepared, watching and waiting for them to be well within range before taking a shot - just one back cast to get the overhang right (I find hearing the connection go out the rod tip at the back helps me find the sweet spot) and then hit it with a big haul.

I've actually never beaten a yellowtail on the rocks with fly gear - I've hooked and lost a few around ledges here in Sydney. One thing I'm certain of is that you need to absolutely dictate terms to the yellowtail when they are near kelp and reef. If you see much backing coming angrily off your reel chances are the tail has seen some cover and will do everything to get there - where your tippet will be shredded. In deep open water you can play them out gently and patiently - they often respond less desperately if you don't pull them hard - but near kelp that theory breaks down rapidly

A big yellowtail off the rocks on fly gear will take both luck and skill - it will be a great achievement. If it's a smaller tail I recommend you just lock up and keep the bugger coming to you On the boat when we fish near structure we actually take a wrap of line in hand and put the boat in reverse till we get the fish into open water. Watch what the Rooikrans spin guys do to them when they get them close to the ledge - there's no "playing" the fish.

BTW I'm still glowing with satisfaction from the sandies you put me onto
    Cheers mate.
    The highest form of existence is play.

I have ventured down this dark path with little success
    the challenge is casting a fly line in amongst 60 pluggers as the shoal comes past
    you need a wing man with a hookless plug and some patience !
    I ended up using t14 (9m) folded in half to make a shorter shooting head so you don't hit the cliff behind you on the back cast with
    "snoek" mono as running line shoots like a dream tangles just as well :0)
    in the end I laid the line out behind me on the rock and just made the forward cast / haul as the fish came close but my flys made so little noise compared to the other "ice creams " in the water I eventually took the low road and pulled the boat out there:0)

good luck
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Thats a challenge! I'm currently trying to land a Baartman on fly. 'had a few shots at them but they clearly havn't been interested in my flies. Coincidentally I caught 2 YT off the rocks last summer, al-biet both juveniles. But what an exhilarating experience. These bays off the farm here next to Sardinia Bay , PE, respond well to warm water and all sorts of fish cruise in when they are forced too.

Other than that. I reckon is might also be possible off Robberg? Right on the point, under ideal conditions, with no crowd around. In Feb we had a day when Sarda Sarda and YT were feeding right along the front ledge in the foam. Still, its probably a shot in a dark, and would require alot of effort and alot of luck, just like chasing anything ambitious. At least you would get super fit jogging to the point everyday! .....Oh but the rewards.

what about the point at Cape.St Francis?
    I know guys who have thrown plugs at yellows that have come in close enough?
    has anyone looked into that as an option?

Back home for a change!!!!!!!
    And back on the yellow tailed Zorro mission. Thanks for all the line advise. But got the answer from Archer fish (Craig) to day. Just add a length of lead core to the back end of my intermediate line. That is the lesser of the two evils. No extra spools no extra line, just turn the line around that's on the reel. With this setup one can fish poppers on intermediate, sub surface with intermediate and fish deep with a lead core shooting head and intermediate as running line (turned around fly line) and it solves the problem of running out of fly line when casting from a elevated positions.

Finding good spots is going to be the make or brake for this mission. Tomorrow or the day after I am going to aid climb (rock climb) from cape point light house towards Rooikrans , there are about 3 spots that are looking very good. And at Simons town there is a wreck about 150 meters off the beach, the engine block is the only part of the wreck that is above the water. My wife got me a shark shield to make sure I get there and back in one piece. When the spinning okes get yellowtail at Simons town they all say that the yellowtail head straight for the wreck to cut them off.

Must say that sitting under the spinning okes and seeing yellowtail chasing plugs till at my rod tip, takes all my self control not to flick my fly at them. Getting a yellowtail unaided is what it is about. No hook-less plugs no chum no flashers. Just good old fashion hard work, luck and calculated risks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast